What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cooking with Mayo

jglass

When I was in highschool of course I took Home Ec class. I remember the teacher drilling into our heads you never get mayonnaise hot. Now I find all kind of recipes where mayo is one of the cooking ingredients. I still find it hard to incorporate that into my way of thinking lol.

I feel the same way. But then again - today's mayos are so overprocessed and different there is a chance it's fine. One thing is for certain - NEVER put mayo in the microwave!

When Burger King makes a Whopper - the meat is removed from the holding bin (that it where the meat ends up after it falls off the broiling chain) and placed on the heel of the bun; then placed in the microwave to heat through and make hot - while the burger is in the microwave, the crown is dressed with mayo - when the burger comes out of the microwave they put the ketchup, pickle, etc. on the burger and place the crown on top. NEVER do they put the "mayoed" top in the microwave.

You can cook with mayonaise, such as mayonaise biscuits... etc! But what the reference to getting mayo hot was...do not let mayo sit at room temp (thus getting hot) as it will make you sick as a dog. Also once it is referigerated it should not come to room temp and then be returned to the fridge, that is dangerous, better to throw it out if you forget to put it back in the fridge. I have been the sickest I ever was from mayo that I was served at a JC Penney's restaurant years ago, both my Sis-In-Law and I got deathly ill, and we were the only two who ate mayo on our burgers. The mayo had obviously gone bad. That is why sandwiches in the summer time lunch box should have a ice pak to help keep the sandwich cool (if it contains mayo), and salads that contain mayo should not be left out very long in the heat of summer, it can and will spoil and folks will get sick!

But cooking with mayo is fine! Do not let it worry you!;)

I love crab cakes and my recipe uses Mayonnaise as the binder to hold the crab together for dredging into the bread crumbs.
Ky suggested substituting Tuna in a crab recipe so I am looking forwards to trying tuna cakes.

Like Cathy and IC mention, I have recipes that call for mayo as an ingredient that are then cooked, like crabcakes, or the Hellmann's Chocolate Cake recipe... but like mama and others, when eating chilled foods w/ mayo as a dressing or binding ingredient, I'm always conscientious of making sure it's well-chilled, like potato salad and others.

Im always very careful with it when I use it in potato salads and the like.
Everytime I see a recipe that calls for it as a cooking ingredient I always fall back to my 11th grade class. lol I have a few recipes with mayo as an ingredient to be cooked I want to try this summer so its time to get over my hangups lol.

My dept. at work is made up of about 30 folks and most of us enjoy cooking and we often have food-days, or sometimes folks just bring something in to share w/ us all. Like all work-environments, we have one co-worker who brings in food and we're all always leery (!) of her dishes. We've found hair in her food contributions, and she tends to be really cluttery (and filthy-dirty!) in her work-station and her area in our community fridge is pretty badly-kept. We're always sorting thru her stuff and tossing-out aged and moldy items. She can't seem to politely wipe the mouths of community ketchup/mustard bottles, nor wipe messes or rinse/dry the community sink in our little kitchen. She also leaves opened half-full cups and bottles of soda, tea, juice and water in her work-station, then finishes them when she returns from time-off. She often brings in sandwiches w/ mayo (miracle whip) on them and instead of chilling them, leaves them out on her desk 4-5 hours and eats them. She has mentioned she prefers eating potato salad made from peeled/chopped potatos still hot just after they come out of the boiling water and are tossed with mayo, mustard, etc, and prefers to eat it while still warm rather than after it's chilled. Of course I have concerns about all of these things, and not to sound mean, but she's one of those co-workers that if she dropped to the floor this moment, it would be an annoyance just to have to stop what I was doing to turn and check her pulse! (Is that awful, or what? Ha!)

I just know that she's one of those people who- if you were to visit her at home- you'd be shocked! She's proll'y got covered pots on her stove-top w/ luke-warm food in them and spoons sticking-out, half-eaten platters of grub still on the table hours past meal-time w/ flies buzzing all over it- just sitting there waiting to be eaten at supper-time in a few hours. UGH!

I used real mayo in potato salad many times the only thing I keep in mind is the food Temperatures that food should be kept over140° f and under 40°f (C60 to 5°C).

Last edited:
there are many charts, but the mantra is hot foods kept hot- above 140F, cold foods cold at under 40F.
All items should be moved out of the range in between as quickly as possilbe!!!!!! it is called the danger zone for a reason.
I have many many cooked recipes with mayo as a binder or a sauce.

this chart is pretty basic--
Food Safety Fact Sheet - Critical Temperatures for Food Service

get an inexpersive probe, dial thermometer and when food is in ice tubs or hot pots, check often.

here is another great site-- stay safe!
How Temperatures Affect Food
Nan

I knew what I want to say about the Temperatures just did not write it .I stand correct
Thank you

Last edited:
We used (and some times still do) slather our turkey with Mayo before we cooked it on Thanksgiving.

Back