May 25  # 1 of 7
FoodSaver® has come out with a "Freeze 'N Steam" bag for steam cooking your veggies in the microwave. This is a direct competition to the other two companies that have steamer ziplock bags on the store shelves and so far it looks like they did their homework.....but they are not cheap. I paid almost $9.00 for a box of 16 bags (8.37" x 9.5").

I have tried them and they work GREAT and I recommend them if you can afford the price and have a use for vacuum sealing and freezing your veggie selection in advance. This is the advantage over the other bags. These bags are FoodSaver® bags that you vacuum seal and freeze. Then just put in the microwave direct from the freezer. Times for most veggies are printed on the bag just like the others.

I have plans of buying my own bulk veggies and making my own garden mix variety. Hmmm, maybe some nice meals with chicken, fish, or shrimp perhaps? Lots of possibilities.

Let me know if you try them and pass on some recipes/suggestions using them.
May 26  # 2 of 7
C- Man, I have a Food saver and have been using it for years. The bags I get, 11" x 18' rolls cost about 10.00 a roll. You cut the size you need, seal one end , fill it up and seal the other end. These bags are freezer, stove top and microwave safe. I try to always buy in bulk with meats and such, break the quantities up into meal sized portions and seal them up. When I make stocks or gravies I also seal the left overs. It's a bit easier than pulling out the pressure canner.
The bags you mention above, are they more of a zipper lock type?
May 26  # 3 of 7
No, they are a sealed bag, but with "steamer" bag attributes -- steam vents and a wider expansion at the bottom. They also have a notch for tearing at the top to open but I found scissors to work better.

FoodSaver® Freeze 'N Steam™ Microwave Cooking Bags

I'm also a long-time FoodSaver fanatic and have the vertical unit (V3840) and love it. Since I'm cooking for one it gets a lot of use portioning everything down to single serving and storing. I don't use the rolls that often because it takes too long to do when I'm on a run, but I do try to find good deals on the bags. My lastest was 50 pint bags from eBay for $9.51 (including s/h). Another was 100 pint bags for $31.50 (including s/h).
Oct 15  # 4 of 7
sounds like a decent investment
Oct 16  # 5 of 7
I agree plastic bags are extremely expensive, but as you I buy them because most of them gets the job done. The economy is tough right now and everyone has increased their prices to survive.