What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quick Mini-Meal?

S

SpiceIsGreat

Do you all get the microwaveable foods that come in the single serve cups for your kids? By these I mean the quick mac 'n cheese Easy Mac cups, the Stove Top cups, etc. Basically just add water, heat, and serve. Seeing more and more of these cups on the shelves now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I buy the ramen noodles for myself but that is about it.
My younger sis loves those microwave things.

It seems the young and active want to work towards the Jetson's lifestyle of pushing a couple buttons and food is instantly in front of them.... and claiming to want "healthy" at the same time. They don't seem to have time for cooking. The demand creates the supply and it will continue until they get tired of it and go for something else.

I personally love the aroma of cooking food.

I made some mini-meals last night (was up til about midnight making them) they are called "Hot Tamales" oh my goodness did they turn out delicious!!! I ate 3 for my lunch today at work, I do believe they are a perfect mini-meal and so easy to keep either frozen or refrigerated. I think from here I will have to branch out into the desert tamales!!!:p

Like janie- I also LOVE ramen noodles- and the "Cup o'Noodles" w/ veggies in them! I love eatin' either them- or a bowl of Cheerios at bedtime if I have the munchies...

My daughter loves ramen noodles and the mac n chesse cups. We also make a salad using the ramen noodles and everyone loves it. It's nice to have those quick fix meals every now and then. Saves a lot of time ...especially for a busy family.

I am doing some renovation work on someone's home. On the refrigerator is a magnetic sign that reads, " In my next home, my kitchen is going to have vending machines". The home has a nice kitchen that is never used. There isn't even a coffee pot.
I'm thinking that this these are the type of people that would appreciate throwing a quick mini meal in the microwave for lunch. Maybe even for dinner. Do they make them for breakfast? If they do then include that meal too.

Breakfast is one of the biggest mini-meals.....instant oatmeal in cups & packets; ready-made frozen pancakes & waffles; just add water to jar pancakes; frozen complete breakfasts (eggs, hashbrowns, sausage or bacon); breakfast bowls; breakfast burritos; breakfast pizza; precooked bacon; pourable egg substitutes; yogurt cups; breakfast in a can.....and much more.

and people still skip breakfast.

and people still skip breakfast.

Yeah go figure:confused: Years ago breakfast was a must, I loved warm breakfasts best! I used to get up and make biscuits, grits (the 5 min. not instant, which I can not stand) bacon and eggs. My family ate with gusto and it was the start to a great day each & every day...eating both our breakfast in the morn. and our supper at night around the dining room table as a family! We hardly ever had cold cereal except during the summer:) There were never INSTANT products in my house I cooked and it was as always from scratch-still is for that matter;)

I don't always make breakfast. Jon and I never let out stomachs know what time of the day it is lol. Jon loves leftovers. I hate them.
When I do make breakfast I make homemade biscuits, turkey sausage or bacon, gravy and eggs. I probably make breakfast 2-3 times a week.

I make quick meals many times - I can my own sauces making ti very easy to make a meal quickly. I do a lot of bulk cooking and freezing as well. It makes things so much easier for me. Freezing or canning gravies can turn a plain dish into something much fancier. I'm at the age where - anything that can cut down on some time is fine with me!

Mrsjimmyp, there is a buy one get one free coupon for the Easy Mac cups on SmartSource.com. What kind of salad do you make with the noodles? I'm not big on eating them unless I'm really hungry.

Cook_Chatty_Cathy, it still amazes me how many people out here in LA have no idea what grits are. I can only find them in instant packs, but not in the traditional container like the oatmeal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cook_Chatty_Cathy, it still amazes me how many people out here in LA have no idea what grits are. I can only find them in instant packs, but not in the traditional container like the oatmeal.

Too funny! I lived in Long Beach 2 years then in Monterey 2 years and was only able to find grits at the military PX. My sister who lives up North can not get them, we mail them to her :D thank goodness for the US postal service. On her anniversary I mailed her a very special bottle of wine only to find out O-o-o-o-ops it is illegal to mail alcoholic beverages to her particular state, thank God I did not get caught and go to jail shew-w-w:eek:

You know with grits becoming ever more popular, and especially in the fine dining circles it amazes me that they have not become more readily available in all states and stores. There are the quick cooking (which say are ready in 5 min's) and the long cooking (who has time for that in the morning!!??!!) and they are so creamy and good tasting when cooked and served correctly. It just makes me wonder why they fail to make them available except in the instant pkt's:confused: I hate instant oatmeal also YUCK!!!! To me the instant grits and oatmeal just taste under cooked.

Back