What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

maple and pancake syrup

Mama Mangia

Super Moderator
Maple and pancake syrups are great on pancakes, waffles and french toast. But what else do you make with them?

Last edited:
Maple Chicken

1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1 chicken, 2-1/2 to 3 pounds, cut-up or equivalent chicken breasts
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
Dash of pepper (optional)
1/4 cup sliced, chopped or slivered almonds
2 teaspoons lemon juice

PREHEAT oven to 400 F. degrees.
Place chicken pieces in a shallow buttered baking dish. Mix remaining ingredients and pour evenly over chicken. Bake uncovered 50 - 60 minutes. Baste occasionally. Yield: 4 to 6 servings

Maple-Glazed Butternut Squash

1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, quartered, cut into half-inch slices
4 tbsp. maple syrup
¼ tsp. ground mace
4 tbsp. dark rum
2/3 cup water

Place all ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes, or until the squash is tender. Reserving the cooking liquid, transfer the squash with a slotted spoon to a heated serving dish. Boil the cooking liquid until it is thickened, then pour it over the squash. Serves 4.

Maple Rolls

1 pkg. dry yeast
1/2 cup hot water
2 cups milk
1/3 cup maple sugar
1/3 cup shortening
1 tsp. salt
5 to 5 1/2 cups flour butter
maple sugar
maple syrup
Cinnamon

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in hot water (110º to 115º). Heat milk, sugar, shortening and salt. When cool, add to the yeast mixture. Stir in flour and knead two minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Place in greased bowl, cover, and let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour. Punch down and divide in half. Roll out 1/2 inch thick, spread with butter and sprinkle with a mixture of maple syrup, maple sugar and cinnamon. Roll up dough and slice into 3/4 inch pieces. Place sliced rolls into pan and let rise 45 minutes. Bake at 350º for 30 to 35 minutes. Invert pan to remove. Ice with Maple Frosting.

Maple Frosting:
1/2 cup butter
2 tbsp. maple syrup

Heat butter until golden brown. Add syrup and sugar and beat, slowly adding hot water until icing spreads smoothly.

Maple Apple Pie

5 cups sliced apples
½ cup sugar
2 tbsp. flour
½ tsp. cinnamon
dash of salt and nutmeg
¼ cup maple syrup
½ cup sour cream
pastry for double crust 9" pie

Combine dry ingredients and sprinkle 2 tbsp. of it over bottom of piecrust. Add the rest to apples, along with maple and sour cream and stir. Turn into pie and cover with lattice top. Bake at 425º for 15 minutes, then bake at 325º for 45 minutes longer or until nicely browned. Remove from oven and cool.

Maple & Balsamic Vinegar Dressing

1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. cilantro
3 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp. maple syrup
1 tbsp. lime juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. black pepper

Mix together the first six ingredients. Whisk in oil until dressing is emulsified. Salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate to store for several weeks.

Simple Maple Sponge Cake
Serves 10-12

1 cup maple syrup
6 eggs
1 cup flour
(1 tsp. vanilla-optional)

Separate eggs. Put whites in large bowl, yolks in medium bowl. Sift flour several times, put in small bowl. Beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Set aside. Beat yolks until light, add syrup (and vanilla if desired). Beat again to mix well. Pour yolk syrup mixture into whites and fold gently with wire whip until blended. Gradually add flour 1 tbsp. at a time while folding mixture. When blended, pour in large tube pan. (It seems to come out best for me if this pan is lightly greased with butter and dusted with flour). Bake at 325º for about 1 hr. Cool on rack, then remove cake from pan. This cake is especially good with no frosting but berries and whipped cream.

Old Time Maple Gingerbread
Serves 8

2 cups flour
1 egg beaten
1 cup sour cream
1 cup maple syrup
1 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. Soda

Combine and sift dry ingredients. Mix maple syrup with beaten egg and add the sour cream. Combine the mixtures and bake in moderate oven for about 40 minutes. Serve with warm maple hard sauce or whipped cream.

Orange Maple Glazed Wing

1 ½ cups buttermilk
1/3 cup maple syrup
2 oranges, seeded, peeled, and sectioned
1 tsp. cinnamon
20 chicken wings

Process first four ingredients to make a coarse puree. Put wings and puree in a gallon sized baggie and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, turning occasionally. Grill and baste with marinade until done, avoid scorching.

Maple Walnut Cream Pie
Serves 8

2 cups milk
dash of salt
2 cups maple syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
3 well-beaten egg yolks
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
6 T. flour
1/2 cup yogurt or whipped cream

Combine milk, syrup, egg yolks, flour in double boiler. Cook slowly over simmering water-about 1/2 hour. Add dash of salt and vanilla. Pour in baked pie shell. Sprinkle with half the nuts. Chill. Shortly before serving spread on yogurt or whipped cream and sprinkle on the rest of the nuts.

Mama, I had a huge Maple tree by my garden and needed to cut some good size branches off of it because they were blocking out the sun light. I spent some time and cut the thickest parts of the branches down to use as chips for smoking on the grill. I have several boxes of these chips and have several large sized freezer bags full of soaked chips in the deep freezer.
When I want to smoke chicken, pork or fish, I like to use the maple chips some times. The chips do give a nice maple flavor and it is a nice way to not waste my syrup that cost 18.00 for a small jug, lol.
One of my favorites though using the syrup is to make Maple Glazed Carrots.

I slice my carrots, 4 medium sized.
Melt a couple of tablespoons of butter in a non stick skillet over medium heat.
Add the carrot slices and gently saute until the slices start to become aldente.
Add 1/2 cup of Maple Syrup to coat the carrots and cook gently until glaze sets.

I might add a pinch of salt or a dash of cinnamon depending on the mood I'm in.

MAPLE-ROASTED SQUASH & PUMPKIN

1 large acorn squash (about 1 3/4 pounds)
1 small pumpkin (about 2 1/2 pounds)
vegetable cooking spray
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/2 tbsp. margarine, melted
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt

Cut squash and pumpkin in half vertically. Discard seeds and membranes. Cut each squash and pumpkin half into eight wedges. Place wedges in the 9 by 13 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Drizzle syrup and margarine over wedges. Sprinkle with sugar and salt. Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes or until tender and lightly browned, turning wedges every 15 minutes.

How about Maple Syrup Pie?

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs at room temperature
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup pure maple syrup (preferably dark amber)
2 teaspoons unsalted butter, melted
1 unbaked 8-inch pie crust

Preparation

Whisk together filling ingredients until creamy and put in pie shell. Bake in a 350 degree oven until pie looks puffed and dry (filling will not be solid), about 50-60 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

(recipe compliments Foodista.com)

Maple/Mustard Salmon

¼ c. maple syrup
1 T. olive oil
1 T. soy sauce
3 T. dijon mustard
One 2” finger of fresh ginger, grated
S&P to taste

Whisk together all and brush onto salmon as it grills or bakes- YUMMY!

Maple Cream-Cheese Frosting

1/2 c. (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temp.
4 oz. cream cheese, room temp.
1 c. sifted powdered sugar
1/2 c. pure maple syrup
3/4 c. chopped pecans

Using the whip attachment for your electric mixer, cream together butter and cream cheese. Add powdered sugar and syrup. Mix well. Fold in nuts. Paticularly yummy w/ applesauce cake, spice cake or banana cake!

Maple Vinaigrette

1 t. dry mustard
1/2 t. dried basil
1/4 c. balsamic or cider vinegar
1/2 c. Maple Syrup
1 T. lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1 c.olive oil
S&P to taste

Whisk all ingredients together, or shake-up in a jar w/ a tightly-closed lid. Dress salad, serve and enjoy!

Back