What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pie-in-a-Sack?

chubbyalaskagriz

Was reading a recipe written by an old-timer and came across a pie baking method that sounded intriguing.

The whole, assembled, unbaked pie was placed in a brown paper grocery sack and placed in a preheated oven for an hour. Everything else was done completely as we're all accustomed to doing it.

There was no clear explanation in the recipe, but evidently this was the cook's method of dealing w/ that age-old issue of the fluted edge of the crust getting too brown.

Has anyone else heard of this before? I thought it was an ingenius idea!

Us old-timers have heard of it and many of us have done it. It makes your crust nice and flaky without over-browning. It worked much better "back in the good ol' days" when brown paper bags WEREN'T recycled!

many dishes are still "made in the sack"
(get your mind out of the gutter.................)

many dishes are still "made in the sack"
(get your mind out of the gutter.................)

Yeah like Bard Pitt, and Matthew McConaughey, Leonardo DiCaprio, and many such wonderful dishes!;) Hee-hee

By the way I have heard of baking your Thanksgiving turkey in a brown paper sack!

Last edited:
Living here at tailgate central - they are designing all sorts of grills and cookers - and one guy did make a grill/cooker out of the front end of a car! Really interesting.

well darn, I am gonna have to find me some sacks. We have a very Nice stove that cooks the heck out of pie crust. I have got to try this. CF:)

just keep an eye on your bag - it's recycled and you don't know what is in it to cause a fire and don't let it touch your food at all - cover your food with parchment of something -

do you know what recycled bags are made from and the process??????

give me an old casserole dish anytime -

How would it work, just covering the pie with parchment and forget about the bag? Would the pie crust come out right? CF

If you wanted to use the bag I would cover the pie with parchment paper so the bag doesn't touch the pie - come to think of it - I wonder if doubling up some parchment and making a bag out of it would work. I really don't trust these bags today - God only knows what land fill they came from. Think about it - trees that were in floods, or exposed to harsh chemical fires, etc. Plus what is in them that is making these bags so brittle - not like the good old days!

Back