Aug 14  # 1 of 8
Wanted to try a meatloaf using oatmeal instead of the bread crumbs (130 mg a slice). From reading several recipes it looks to be 1/2 cup oatmeal per pound of beef. Has anyone here tried the oatmeal filler yet?
Aug 14  # 2 of 8
I often use oatmeal as a binder in meatloaf. I must be honest and say that is one thing for which I don't use a recipe.
However, if several recipes seem to point toward that ratio I would try if first--see how the uncooked looks as you form it. If it appears looser than one with bread, let it sit a bit to soak up some moisture and if looks like it needs it, maybe add a little more a bit at a time??
Good Luck,
Nan
Aug 14  # 3 of 8
Oatmeal has been used as a filler for meatloaf for ages. That is how many families stretched their meals during hard times.

here's a few examples

1/2 lb pork, ground
1/2 lb beef, ground
1 cup minced onions
2 cups cooked oatmeal
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp salt
1 tsp marjoram, if desired
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 cup milk
1 tbsp melted fat

Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Pack in greased loaf pan. Bake in moderate oven (350) for 1-1/2 hours. Let stand several minutes before removing from pan. Serves 6 to 8.

Note - Here's how to make the conversion. Simply put half as many rolled oats in the recipe as the recipes calls for bread crumbs and add an extra egg.

when bread crumbs aren't available, bread or rolls soaked in water or milk is used, crackers are used, oatmeal is used, stuffing mix is used -

Meatloaf:
2 pounds ground chicken
1 egg, slightly beaten
3/4 cup oatmeal
1/3 cup applesauce, unsweetened
1 small onion finely
1/3 cup corn, frozen kernels
1/2 red bell pepper, minced
1/4 cup parsley, minced (or 2 tbsp. dried)
2 tablespoons chili sauce
2 tablespoons worshester sauce
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Glaze:
1/3 cup chili sauce
2 tablespoons prepared mustard

Directions
Make Meatloaf:
Combine the chicken, egg, oatmeal, applesauce, onion, corn, red pepper, parsley, worshester sauce, 2 tbsp. chili sauce and pepper. Mix just until the ingredients are blended.
Form into an oval loaf in a large rectangular baking dish which has been sprayed with vegetable cooking spray. (I used Pyrex.)
Make Glaze and Assembly:
Mix the glaze ingredients and spread over the loaf.
Bake in a 350°F oven for about 1-1/2 hours until the glaze starts to brown. Drain any fat that accumulates in the baking dish. Slice and serve.

It's all a matter of preference.
Aug 14  # 4 of 8
1 1/2 pounds ground beef chuck (I usually use 93 percent lean)
2/3 cup quick cooking rolled oats (or 1 cup of fine bread crumbs)
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
2 eggs
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 small onion, finely chopped
FOR THE TOPPING:
1/4 cup ketchup
1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (or less, to taste)

In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground chuck, rolled oats or bread crumbs, milk, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, eggs, Worcestershire and chopped onion. Put in an 8x4-inch loaf pan.

Combine the ketchup, brown sugar, mustard and nutmeg. Spread over the meatloaf.

Bake in a 350 degree F oven for about one hour and 15 minutes.

Makes 6 to 8 servings
Aug 14  # 5 of 8
I always use oatmeal instead of bread crumbs in my meatloaf.