What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How unsafe is this?

A

Ashworth3715

Well embarassingly enough I have a black pot and the bottom.... paint i guess it is starting to strach off, I have never had an issue with it being in food I cook, I know it's time for a new pot but for the time being is it safe to use?

This is just my opinion - but if it is a "coated" bottom (inside) and it is scratched - then I would toss it out - definitely!! I don't trust any of that!
But like I said - it is just my opinion!

You mean it's a non-stick surface that is starting to scratch off? Definitely get rid of it.

Yes its a non stick pot, but i accidentaly made the stupid mistake of using an S.O.S. pad on it, so I believe thats why it is peeling off.

Yep. That's probably why. The manufacturer says it's not dangerous, but that stuff is toxic if inhaled, so I wouldn't ingest it! I would get a new one, sorry. :)

I am glad you brought this up. Because now that I think about it I have pots that are scratched up to. I will have to look into getting some new ones. thanks

I agree; I would not use it. I'm not 100% certain what they put on those nonstick surfaces, but I'm pretty sure it's something I don't need to be eating.

It is recommended that you throw the pan away. However, the non-stick coating is not harmful if ingested. It actually passes right through the body without even being absorbed.

I have pans like this too... I basically went through and wiped ALL of the coating off. Is that good enough or should it all probably be thrown away? I'm so cheap sometimes... LOL

I'd throw it out. Seems to me it can't be good for you if pieces of it chip off into food

I have several pots and pans like this and right now I can't afford to go buy ne but yes I do agree with you this needs to be on my list of things that I really need to get.

We have a couple with scratches, nothing peeling off though. We still use them and haven't had any problems with getting any in our food. The scratches always stay the same and not peel.

We need to get new pans soon...still deciding on the caphalon or copper deal. Hubby cannot decide.

I always have this problem with non stick pots/pans. I think from now on I'm going to stay away from them.

And while you're at buying your new non-stick pan, you might want to buy those silicone spatula things, (your old wooden spatula would probably do, but aren't those silicone things just too cute not to buy?) too, so you wouldn't end up scratching the surface off again. :^__^:

Plus, the silicone ones won't melt if you leave them in the pan, right? At least, thats the case with the Pampered Chef ones i have.

Plus, the silicone ones won't melt if you leave them in the pan, right? At least, thats the case with the Pampered Chef ones i have.

Ahuh! (But you guys should check with your salesladies just in case :^__^:)

Hi,

I know this is a late response, but I would definately get a new pot. I just threw one out where the coating was looking suspicious. I don't use much nonstick anymore because of this problem. The silicone utensils are a good idea. Hope this helps! Genie

I agree, throw it out. If you've wiped off all the coating is no longer non-stick. Also those old "teflon" type pans will release harmful fumes when cooked over high heat! A good alternative are the anodized aluminum pans. The coating is fused onto the surface and they conduct heat so well you don't need to cook on "high". I'm on a budget too! So instead of buying a whole set you could just replace a piece here and there.

Back