What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I "reconstitute" cranberries?

jake0831

This may sound odd, but I have run across a couple of recipes on line that state that I should "reconstitute dried cranberries just like I would raisins". Well, since, to my knowledge, I have never reconstituted raisins I'm not sure what they mean.

I bought an average sized container of dried cranberries and was just going to put them in my stuffing but now I'm not sure what I should do.

Do I put them in hot water for 15 minutes before I add them to my stuffing or do I just put them in the stuffing which I am going to put in the oven (and the bird) for 30 minutes or so.

Also, I have a bag of fresh cranberries and for those I thought I would just cook them until they pop, drain, and put them in the stuffing. Should I consider running them through a food processor?

Any help would be appreciated.

You got it right, just soak 15 minutes drain and use them! If you want to use whole fresh cranberries I am lost on that have never tried that one yet. By the way welcome to SpicePlace!

Cathy is right about the dried cranberries.

If usmg fresh cranberries in your stuffing - here's a recipe that will give you an idea of how to do it:

•2 cups onion, diced
•½ cup butter, melted
•2 cups fresh cranberries
•2 tablespoons brown sugar
•2 teaspoons dried rosemary
•2 teaspoons dried sage
•¼ cup fresh orange juice
•¾ cup chicken broth
•12 to 14 slices of raisin bread, dried and cut into cubes and toasted in a little butter

1.In a skillet cook onion in 2 tablespoons butter until soft.
2.Add cranberries, brown sugar, herbs, orange juice, and chicken stock and bring to a boil. The cranberries will pop and when they do remove from heat.
3.Place bread in a bowl and pour the other ingredients plus the rest of the melted butter over top and stir with a wooden spoon and put into a buttered dish.
4.Bake at 30 minutes at 350 degrees F covered with foil then remove foil and bake another 30 minutes.

Thanks!

Thanks to both of you - think I've got it now.

The recipe sounds good - will try it sometime. For this year I'm doing a sausage, apple and cranberry dressing and thought a mix of already dried and fresh cranberries sounded like a good idea when I was in the store. Of course, then I got home and realized I haven't cooked with cranberries before. Duh!

Anyway, thanks to both of you - pretty sure I can handle this.

Happy Holidays to both u & yours!

Back