Dec 3  # 1 of 6
I've always been fascinated with this spice ever since I heard a long time ago in grade school that it was technically worth more than gold weight-wise. Not that I'm ready to use it (or afford it) yet, but I was wondering if it was readily available in the U.S. or if it is as hard to come by as gold, as well.

Thanks.
Dec 3  # 2 of 6
Saffron is truly one of the most exspensive spices in all the world. It is available for one to purchase in the US in your spice aisle at the super market, if you do not mind paying the price. Also a good mail order for it and all spices are Penzi's Spices or Zammouri Spices, if you are so inclined.

A little secret tip....buy only Mahatma Yellow Rice mix and you will get a nice saffron flavored rice, any other will only use very very little saffron alot of tumeric and not have near the flavor of the Mahatma brand, and these days it is not nearly as flavorful as it used to be, but it is still the best of all prepackaged yellow rice mixes. There is also a nice all purpose seasoning salt that contains saffron, it is the bottle that has the pink lid, it says clearly on the label with saffron, it actually has a nice saffron flavor to it.

I LOVE SAFFRON IN MY FOOD!!!:p
Dec 10  # 3 of 6
All super markets carry it where I shop...I usually get mine from Patel Brothes ( indian store )
Dec 10  # 4 of 6
I don't use saffron, but for the life of me, I don't understand why people don't grow their own if it's so expensive. It comes from the saffron crocus and it blooms in the fall.
Dec 10  # 5 of 6
!!! I never thought to grow my own ...will add it in my garden come spring time :)