What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smoking Wood or Burn with Charcoal?

K

kc5hwb

Somene told me that I should soak my smoking wood (hickory, mesquite, whatever) or use green wood, and light a charcoal fire underneath the wood, rather than burning the wood itself. Has anyone tried this? I have always seen others just burn the actual wood itself, which is the reason green or soaked wood is recommended.

I have never heard of that. I wonder what the effect would be on the taste. I suppose it's worth a try though; seems like you would definitely use less wood that way.

Maybe I should consult my cookbook from Bobby Flay, the grilling expert. :D

That is what I do. I use a charcoal fire and then once the coals are hot, I place the soaked woodchips directly onto the coals. The wood will produce LOTS of smoke and will eventually lose its moisture and burn normally.

You get your best smoking when you lite the charcoal first and get the coals hot. Just before you put your food on the grill to cook add your soaked wood chips or green wood. Keep an eye on your grilling and when you see the smoke diminishing you can add more soaked wood chips or green wood.

I find that the big chunks of mesquite wood for grilling are nice and produce some flavor they are not as good as using the charcoal with the soaked wood chips or green wood.

BagCSC said:
That is what I do. I use a charcoal fire and then once the coals are hot, I place the soaked woodchips directly onto the coals. The wood will produce LOTS of smoke and will eventually lose its moisture and burn normally.

How long does the fire last, normally? My fear in trying this was that the charcoal fire would burn out and I would have to re-light it at sometime during the process. Or does the wood simply burn on its own after that?

I bet it would last longer than actually lighting the wood chips, at least.

From what I remember, the coal fire lasts about a long as normal...but yes, the chips do burn on they own over time, but not enough to really produce much "useful" heat.

From what I understand, the charcoal fire underneath just helps to creat more smoke. I sometimes will put my wet wood in aluminum foil then place on charcoal, this makes lots and lots of smoke.

In my opinion, I would never burn green wood for cooking, much for the same reason green wood is not used in fireplaces. Green wood will give off a very bitter taste and the creosote build up inside of a smoker will eventually alter the taste of your food. Wood should be well seasoned. I myself have had the most success using lump charcoal supplemented with different hardwoods.

Use the biggest size chunks of wood that you can find It will give you longer burn times. Wood chips are fine for delicate meats and fish because they burn off fast you won't overpower your meat with too much smoke.

In my opinion, I would never burn green wood for cooking, much for the same reason green wood is not used in fireplaces. Green wood will give off a very bitter taste and the creosote build up inside of a smoker will eventually alter the taste of your food. Wood should be well seasoned. I myself have had the most success using lump charcoal supplemented with different hardwoods.

Use the biggest size chunks of wood that you can find It will give you longer burn times. Wood chips are fine for delicate meats and fish because they burn off fast you won't overpower your meat with too much smoke.

All great points you make here Rick!

I burn wood into coals

I take a certain wood that I buy at sears called hot-sticks. They are kiln dried hardwood and they come with a little lighter piece of wood to help you out. The wood they use is very clean burning, I also pick up a couple of natural fatwood lighting sticks in case it is windy.

I also have a home made brick smoker, So I take a bout 5 pieces of wood, small like 2 inches by 10 inches each, and get them started on a grate. Wait for the the wood to turn to coals, approximately a half an hour, pile a piece of wood 4 inches by 10 or so every hour or so to keep the temperature between 100 and 200 degrees. I also soak my Chips/chunks ( I use a mix of both) I put a new batch of chips 3-6 times during the process. After 4 - 6 hours or so of smoking I make sure my meat is to temperature with a probe thermometer since it is the only way to know something is truly done :D

If i am in a hurry after 4 hours I fire up the smoker with more wood and get it really hot, or the oven and finish it off there usually 10 - 20 min in a 300 degree oven works great and the food is ready to temperature.

Try experimenting, it's fun,food and science gotta love it :) ah yes and alton browns recipe for brining a turkey for 12 hours and then smoking is one of the best things i have ever tasted from my smoker, I truly recommend trying that out.

can anyone comment on using hibachi grills for making smoked meats. I'm considering getting a hibachi or a 'green egg' but they are expensive and I want to hear if others are using them for smoking successfully! Replies appreciated!

When I smoke most items I use what I call an Indirect smoke. It comes from a side box on the non gas side of my grill. The smoke box is mounted over the vent hole on the side of the grill.
I use hardwoods and keep the fire very low. Different hardwoods for different meats. I'll use fruit woods for mostly Pork, Oak, Hickory or Mesquite for Beef and maybe a combination of both for chicken depending on were I am going with the chicken. I,m not a big fish fan unless it's fresh caught and I'm eating it right away.

If I am using the gas side of the grill and want to smoke something I do soak my wood chips, place them in a foil pack that has holes poked into the top to allow the smoke to escape and place the foil pack down by the gas burners. I have a little rack I made up to set the foil pack on so it's under the grill rack just above the flames. I try to keep the heat down to about 200*. Depending on the smoking time I will replace the foil pack and chips several times through out the day. Drawing the smoke just right over the meat or even vegetables is important too and controling the smoke inside with the opening and closing of the top vent. This also controls the heat.

I have seen some variations of smoking where green woods have been used but these are more of a pit roasting type or method. I have seen the use of green bamboo and other wet land type woods used, also leaves and sea weed. I think these techniques are for more of a steaming method though, not really what I call smoking, drawing the flavors from the woods or leaves to infuse into the meats.

This is the way I do it. When smoking ribs or such I will add more to it every few hours. Charcoal and soaked hickory or mesquite.

Guys. I would suggest that you use lump charcoal rather than briquettes.
Reason, briquettes contain starch, ground charcoal and nitrogen fertilizer. Lump does not, it is just charcoal, and it burns hotter and longer. Never ever use green wood in your smoker, as green wood produces creosote. Not a good thing for you or the flavor of what ever you are smoking. Using wood chips soaked would work, I prefer using dry wood splits for smoke.
Always leave the exhaust open, control your fire with the air intake and the size of the fire. Look for thin blue smoke coming from your smoker, not clouds of white smoke. OK, my $.25 cents worth, (everything has gone up)
CF:)

Back