What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What was your worst kitchen blunder?

HeadChef

I've had more kitchen blunders than successful ones...

One of these was making a bunch of pretzels that was absolutely unedible. It was so tough that my brother even calls it the "iron pretzels". :D

Oh golly. TOO many to even mention!

One I clearly recall is this: At one of my first-ever restaurant jobs I was making a huge batch of 1000 Island Dressing in an extra-large Hobart floor mixer.

I added several #10 cans of ketchup, chili sauce, gallons of pickle relish, 5 gallon buckets of mayo, etc. And without checking the mixer-speed I flipped the "ON" switch.

Well, the damned mixer was set on #3 which was the highest/fastest speed and let me tell you- 1000 Island Dresing was FLYING everywhere!

It was spilling out SO VIOLENTLY that I could not even approach the quick-moving mixing machine to turn the switch OFF! It took several of us forever to mop and clean that mess up- and years later there were still pink 1000 Island Dressing stains on the white ceiling tiles ten feet overhead! :) After that, whenever I made 1000 Island dressing the other cooks would poke fun at me and ask "Got'cher helmet, goggles and Hazmat suit on, Kevin?" Ha!

Oh, I've had 'em. That's for sure! I think they have made me a better cook in the long run. I think the biggest blunder I had was when I turned chicken blue in a failed attempt to make a lemon chicken dish in my new non-stick pans. Yeah, that was probably the worst.

The one I remember was just after fixing dinner, the phone rang, usually meaning a telephone solicitor at that hour, and I disgustingly tossed down the kitchen towel and went in the other room to answer the phone and give the caller something hotter than my dinner.

I returned to the kitchen a few minutes later to find it on fire. Part of the towel had landed on a hot stove unit and caught on fire. I keep a fire extinguisher close by in the kitchen ever since.

Hi..!!
U really don't want to know, like seriously where do i start from, too much salt, too much pepper, too much oil, under cooked, over cooked, Phew, this could take all day Cheesy, the good thing about it though is that we learn from our mistakes which makes us better cooks, so yeah thank God for Cooking blunders.

The one that comes to mind (I've had entirely too many to keep count!) is the first time, many years ago, when I was first married, I decided to make one of my husband's favourite things - bean soup. First I placed an entire package of pinto beans in a tiny little half-quart pan and for hours after, kept trying to keep those bloody beans from climbing out of that pot - in vain! I had beans everywhere, all over my kitchen and they didn't even smell especially good, because I had no idea about putting a ham hock or piece of salt pork into the beans to start with. But you live and learn from mishaps in the kitchen and as someone already said, it tends to make one a far better cook to learn from experience!

Told by the chef to follow a recipe for 1000 Island Dressing, once in a restuarant kitchen I added several #10 cans of ketchup, Heinz chili sauce, gallons of pickle relish and a couple 5 gallon buckets of mayo into the bowl of a huge floor-model Hobart Mixer. As I turned the switch on I failed to double-check and turn the lever (speed control) back to 1 from 3- where the person who used it prior to me had mistakenly left it. OMG! 1000 Island Dressing FLEW EVERYWHERE! It not only covered my uniform and hair, but landed on the ceiling, floor, walls and on co-workers and stacks of china 20 feet away! Worked there 5 years and the day I left there were still pink stains on the white celing tiles 12 feet overhead! :)

Back