What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for advice

ricksrealpitbbq

I've been a woodworker for 35 years. I thoroughly enjoy my work and I'm quite good at it. That being said, due to economic troubles, I am finding it more and more difficult to land jobs. People are letting things go around their homes and are getting tighter with their discretionary spending. This past winter was brutal for me. I had no work from Thanksgiving until April of this year. Now it's slowing down again, and I'm worried. Traditionally summer time is the busiest time for building trades. But I see it getting much worse before it gets better. Due to my age, working for someone else, or changing fields would be problematic. This leads me to an option that I have actually wanted to pursue in the future.

I am thinking of the only other thing I enjoy and that is food and seeing people enjoy what I cook. I am thinking of taking the plunge and getting into food vending. I'd like to set up a BBQ pit on a trailer and start selling BBQ and grilled foods to tourists and locals in my area. On Monday I plan on finding out which regulatory agency I need to apply to and pursue requirements to do business as a vendor.

Has anyone had experience in doing this sort of thing ? I know I'm in for long hours, and I'm fine with that. Just looking for any help or advice you can share

Thanks

Yes it is a lot of work - and your biggest problem would be the Board of Health regulations. If they find one little thing wrong - they will continually ride you and look for fines, and they publish it for all to see. As long as you have all stainless steel utensils, pots, etc. and you have all the necessary cleaning products - which they want to see clearly marked (worse than having to put Mr. Yuck stickers on everything), etc. and tons of rubber gloves and heat-resistant gloves, as well as the proper cutting gloves - and your equipment is thoroughly cleaned and able to keep all foods at the proper temps (holding tables, freezers, refrigeration, etc.) you should be all set. They will also need to see if you have water available - and where it is coming from.

(a friend of mine has a food stand at the county fairs, etc. and almost lost their business - french fries yet! - because the water was coming from a contaminated well and people were getting sick and suing - 8 vendors were almost put out of business because of it!)

I went through this a few years back with a "friend" that opened a BBQ place. They were very strict - but as long as he adheres to the rules - he'll be fine.

And if you make your own seasonings - make big batches and storein big plastic containers, and don't tell them you make them at home - or they will be in your kitchen with microscopes looking for anything! They are very strict when it comes to making anything in your home that is going to be used for public consumption.

As far as your "age" - you are plenty young enough to start up your dream business. Cooking is a passion with you - and you will probably never be allowed to retire once you get a following!

You'll do very well.

BTW- have tons of thermometers for everything.

(we re-did a chinese restaurant that converted a old disco into a half dead Chinese restaurant - and then we had to build the pit in back and get permits for everything - what a pain! it took months - and just when we thought we were close to getting ready to open - something else had to be done - and it took 2 months to just clean the place up - it was a disgustig mess when we moved in!)

I've gone thru it all - including having one colored mop and bucket for the bathrooms, a different color mop and bucket for the kitchen, etc. I had the deli, the pizzeria, and I got involved in the BBQ pit as well. Plus I worked for a couple restaurants. And to me it was worth it.

My son-in-law did they BBQ trailer thing. He went to different events around his area and would also you could rent it (with or without the cook). This was a side job for him (most festivals etc. are on weekends). He has since put it up for sale. Doing it full time would require you to have a certain place to set it up every day I assume. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice Momma. I already know I need a semi permanent place and have a few in mind already. Going on different BBQ forums I've read about the sanitation requirements for fairs, festivals, and such. I also have a good idea of the behind the scenes prep work in addition to the on site cooking. Last year and this year, I've been selling my seasonings at the local farmer's market. I've had a grill set up so people could sample the flavors on cooked meat before they buy it. I've really enjoyed meeting people and cooking on the weekends, so I think it would be an enjoyable venture.

One of my biggest requirements for work options is my enjoyment level. My woodworking is not a job to me. I love doing it and I never dread going into work. So whatever I do, I need to have fun doing it. If that makes sense.

of course it makes sense!

when you have a true passion for something - it makes a big difference

as far as all the "requirements" - don't forget - up here we get taxed and fee-ed to death - you have to shell out so much it's not funny -

no wonder this state is crumbling so fast!

A big city like Buffalo is having it's own exodus! everyone is moving out of the area and out of the state - even our taxes have new taxes added to it and if they find out you make a buck they want a buck an a half!

Thank heaven its not like that where you are!

Just wanted to update my progress or lack thereof :confused:

Thanks to the health department, I won't be doing this any time soon. it would probably cost less to open a restaurant, than all the hoops I need to jump through to open a mobile pit. I would need pressurized running hot and cold water. A holding tank for waste water and one for gray water. A freaking grease trap, A refrigerator, warming trays. Pest and insect control equipment. Even my home becomes a target for their inspections if I store the trailer at my home. Any supplies I keep at my residence have to be in a separate area isolated from the main living space. If I designate a room as my storage area, it needs a separate outside entrance. This is insanity. According to the health department it's a wonder people haven't died from me cooking all these years.

If I had deep pockets I could buy an approved concession trailer all set up and ready to go. They start out at 35K for new units. Used units are less, but still pricey. If I build my own, I need the DOT to sign off on it to take it on the road.

Once again, I am faced with the obvious fact of life, it takes money to make money. Looks like this will go on the back burner for a while.

I appreciate all the responses to this thread.

Don't give up hope - reading this makes me wonder if you live up here in NY - but of course - NY would have even more fees, etc.

Think positive - remember - God works in mysterious ways - and He usually has 3 answers for what we want -

1 - No - not yet - but what is coming is better - so wait
2 - Yes - but on My time
3 - Yes - you can have it now

so it looks like options 1 and 2 are still in the running!!

Back