What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spatchcock Chicken

ChileFarmer

Was just the wife and I for dinner, so one Chicken was enough. OK so how you wanna cook it. She says I don't care as long as you cook it.
I am thinking Spatchcock on the grill. No this is not just any Chicken, its a Wal-Mart Chicken. New item, fresh never frozen, free range, no hormones, blah,blah. Course they cost more so its got to be better "right". It was real tasty. CF:)
Spatchcocked, and all rub-ed down with secret spices.

HoochieMamaRub.jpg

Glazed with a little Mustard sauce, Really tasty.

GlazedwithMustardSauce.jpg

I know this reply is over 2 years after the post. I've done this a few times. There are some putrist that only split it down the back but I'm one of those that remove the backbone since I find little meat on it. I've never tried the mustard sauce though. Will have to try it. I assume you just dropped in on the grill.

JP, I like spatchcock because it helps the bird cook more even. I cook indirect, not over flame or coals. Pit temp about 250-275°. Some cook hotter. When the bird is not quite done (about 150- 155°) I will brush more sauce and move to direct heat to crisp the skin. I heat rubber chicken skin. When the middle of the thigh temp is 160-170° Its ready for some good eats. I use a probe type temp Gage. I would love to have a digital read gage, but just wont spend the hundred dollars. I cook all meat to temp. CF:)
JP, rub meat with yellow mustard or oil, Keeps the rub on. After cooking you will not taste the mustard.

Southern pork or chicken Rub

1/4 cup ground black pepper
1/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup Turbinado sugar or brown sugar
1 Tablespoons table salt
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper Or more of what ever you like for some heat.

Mix ingredients thoroughly. Makes enough rub for one pork butt

Back