May 26  # 1 of 6
Butterscotch Pie

1 pre baked pie crust
1 cup dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons butter (or, if you prefer, 'Nucoa oleo-margarine')
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs, separated
3 tbsp all purpose flour
2 tbsp powdered sugar

Heat a heavy fry pan over medium heat. Add the butter and brown sugar and stir until the sugar is melted and a thick brown syrup is formed. Add one cup of the milk into the pan, and the vanilla. Beat the egg yolks lightly in a medium sized bowl, and combine with the remaining milk and the flour until smooth. Add to the mixture in the fry pan and stir over medium heat until thickened and creamy. Pour into cooled pie crust. Beat remaining egg whites with powdered sugar until stiff and spoon decoratively over pie. Bake in preheated 325 degree oven until meringue is browned, Serve cold.
May 26  # 2 of 6
Mama, that is a keeper for sure. My Grandmother used to make me butter scotch pies. I always requested them. Dang they were good. And I bet that one will be to. On the list for tomorrow. CF:)
May 26  # 3 of 6
and it's a recipe from the 30's as well
May 26  # 4 of 6
I don't recall the 'Nucoa oleo-margarine'. But I can remember oleo being white. You got a packet of yellow coloring and had to mix it yourself. We mostly had butter because we had cows. Still use butter even at $2.75 pound. CF:)

Recipe from the 30's right up my ally. CF:)
May 27  # 5 of 6
that margarine was all fat - and you combined the packet - oh those days were the best!
so much cooking and baking was done with high fat content - and yet everyone was healthier