For The Crust:

Ingredients:

1/2 C shortening
1 C all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 C finely chopped pecans
2 to 3 tbls. cold water

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut shortening into flour using a pastry blender or two knives until pastry is the consistency of very coarse cornmeal.
Mix in salt and pecans. Add water a tbls. at a time. Mix lightly until dough holds together. Roll dough to approximately 1/4 inch in thickness on floured surface. Place in 8-inch pie pan. Place pie weights or another lightweight pan on top while baking to prevent bubbles from forming. Bake 15 to 20 minutes.

For Pie Filling:

4 tbls. cocoa
3 tbls. cornstarch
6 tbls.plus 4 tbls. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
2 eggs, separated
2 C milk
1 tsp. vanilla
Pinch cream of tarter

Directions:

Sift cocoa or mash out any lumps with the back of a spoon. Sift or mix cornstarch, cocoa, 6 tbls. of sugar and the salt together. Place the mixture in the top of a double boiler. Beat the egg yolks slightly. While stirring the cocoa mixture, add the milk slowly and then the egg yolks. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture is thick. Add vanilla. Cool slightly. Pour mixture into cooled pecan piecrust. Beat egg whites, gradually adding 4 tbls. sugar and a pinch of cream of tarter until soft peaks form. Spread on pie and brown under broiler. This pie is really yummy! :D
Jun 30  # 2 of 16
Katie, I love custard pies. But after trying Mama's butterscotch Pie I find I am liking experience with custard making.
https://www.spiceplace.com/forums/pies/8784-butterscotch-pie.html
Although I am willing to try again. Most of the time I do what I call, a you bake-em pie (dump and bake) CF:)
Jun 30  # 3 of 16
Dump and bake pie is usually fairly successful but some fillings require a tad more finesse. Any custard or pudding in which eggs play a roll has to be made rather carefully, otherwise you're apt to get "grainey" texture as the eggs may "cook" during the process. I've had that happen with some chocolate custard pie filling in times past and the result was just simply yucky! The taste was okay but that texture of scrambled eggs was nobody's choice! :)
Jun 30  # 4 of 16
Katie, my filling was really smooth, and tasty. It just didn't set like I would of liked. I cooked it until I thought it was thick enough. But I know now it wasn't. You know kinda runny. Is there some rule to follow with custard thickness? CF:)
Jun 30  # 5 of 16
Yes, there is, but I simply have never found it. If I have a custard pie that turns out to be stiff enough it's pure accident. I'll take this problem to my resident chef and ask Ian exactly what the trick is and get back to you with his answer tomorrow. His things nearly always turn out right! If I didn't find his expertise so helpful, I could learn to dislike that guy a lot! There's nothing in the world quite so discouraging as someone who's always spot on!
Incidently, have you tried Spotted Dick yet? He did and his was far and away better than mine has ever been. I'll never challenge him again in my lifetime...........but then, again, I never studied at Le Cordon Bleu! My school of learning was strictly Katie's Kitchen. And there are several bricks missing from my floor!

:D:D