1 unbaked 9" ready pie crust

Topping:

1/2 C dark brown sugar
1/2 C all-purpose flour
1/4 C butter
1/4 tsp. cinnamon

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Core and slice apples thinly. Do not peel. Mix with remaining filling ingredients and pile into the pie crust. Combine topping ingredients and spread topping over filling. Place in a grocery brown bag; fold edge down and fasten in three places with staples or paper clips. Bake 1 hour and fifteen minutes. This is easy and a great conversation piece. Hard to imagine baking something in a paper bag and having it come out golden brown without burning the bag...........:D
Jul 6  # 2 of 6
Katie, I have read the recipe. But what part does the bag play. Brown bags are extinct here. I do think it is interesting, and I know looking at the ingredients it is tasty. CF:)
Jul 6  # 3 of 6
Quote ChileFarmer wrote:
Katie, I have read the recipe. But what part does the bag play. Brown bags are extinct here. I do think it is interesting, and I know looking at the ingredients it is tasty. CF:)

Hi, CF - As the recipe says, you put the prepped pie into the brown bag and then slide the works into the oven to bake. Not bad! katie
Jul 6  # 4 of 6
I don't know how the bags are where you live - but up here they are so recycled and recycled that they would burn in the oven - not like the bags of old.
Jul 6  # 5 of 6
Quote Mama Mangia wrote:
I don't know how the bags are where you live - but up here they are so recycled and recycled that they would burn in the oven - not like the bags of old.

I get the brown paper bags inside the white plastic ones every week when I shop...I get them for our cats to wrestle with! Even our least one, affectionately known as "Toby the Terror" can't fight his way through one of them - they're thick and heavy. Last Thanksgiving I used one to roast our turkey and it was one of the most golden and succulant birds I've ever eaten.
A perfect way to roast/and or bake, I believe. :)