Aug 14  # 1 of 6
I don't like to use MSG or any of the commercial meat tenderizers. I've used beer but don't have any right now. Can I throw together some spices to use to tenderize pork chops? Or some kind of vinegar concoction? Marinade? or use directly while cooking? TIA
Aug 14  # 2 of 6
Do you have a bottle of Italian Dressing? If not, one part vinegar to 2 parts oil and any spices/herbs you want will make a good marinade. The vinegar is the trick.
Aug 15  # 3 of 6
I use the Italian Dressing. Add my own seasoning depending on what kind of meat I am marinating.
Mama, good answer. CF
Aug 15  # 4 of 6
I always thought that MSG was a flavor enhancer, not a meat tenderizer. The tenderizers I know are usually made from dried papaya or pineapple and just sprinkled on the meat and allow time for the enzymes to break down the meat fibers. The same result can be obtained by marinating meat in papaya or pineapple juice.
Aug 15  # 5 of 6
Quote Mama Mangia wrote:
Do you have a bottle of Italian Dressing? If not, one part vinegar to 2 parts oil and any spices/herbs you want will make a good marinade. The vinegar is the trick.

Thanks, Mama.....I usually make my own Italian Dressing when I need it. Same with French Dressing, Poppy Seed Dressings, etc. I quit buying commercial dressings. I can whip one up in minutes and don't have to deal with all the preservatives and junk. Thanks for your reply. I'll just make an extra bottle or so of my Italian Dressing recipe and use that 'til I get some beer. I've had the most luck with the beer.