Aug 16  # 1 of 7
What, exactly, is spelt flour - what compriizes it and when is it best used?
I've seen this in several recipes recently and have wondered what it is and how it's best used.
Aug 16  # 2 of 7
spelt is a cereal grain from the wheat family - you see it popping up in pastas and in breads - it has a nutty, slightly sweet flavor similar to whole wheat - it's healthy for you even though it is lower in fiber than wheat

when making bread with spelt you cannot handle the dough as you would for regular bread - the gluten in the spelt is not as strong as the gluten in wheat - so don't overmix and it won't be crumbly

it has also been used in waffles, crepes, pancakes, etc..........
Aug 16  # 3 of 7
Thanks, Mama. I'm assuming that if I wish to make bread, cake, muffins or the like and am feeling rather heavy-handed I should steer away from spelt flour. Having never made pasta from scratch (I'm kind of leery of trying it) I've actually never handled anything that couldn't be "worked" vigorously.

Good to be back home and I was really surprised by the new look of the forum. It's quite attractive if somewhat confusing until you get the hang of it. Good job!

Will be back with some good British recipes but have promised to visit with my son first before I post again. He says he has some things he wants me to check out. Later - Katie
Aug 16  # 4 of 7
Katie, super pleased y'all are back home safe. Looking to hear all about the trip and the great food. Don't forget the photos. CF:)
Aug 17  # 5 of 7
Good Day, CF - So nice to hear from you! Yes, we're back, not more than a bit the worse for wear! We got back a bit earlier than planned because my husband decided it was best to return without making our originally scheduled ten day stop in London to play tourist. With all the rioting and unrest there it simply didn't seem like a safe bet and I was getting increasingly exhausted from all the traveling around and visiting. We could have remained in Cornwall a bit longer and tried to wait it out for London to calm down but we were both anxious to get back to normalcy. Being someone's houseguest is nice but I missed my kids and my cats! And my own cooking, as well.

We have tons of photos I'd love to share but to be completely honest, I don't have a single clue how to do it. Never have been computer literate and just don't know the correct way to transfer photos from digital camera to post without having my computer fly off into cyberspace! Instructions would be most helpful and then I can send off a photo of myself playing sentry in front of Edinburg Castle or somethng else silly like that.

Just incidently, thank you so very much for being there for my Ian whilst we were away and guiding him through the engagement process. We're so very pleased with his choice.....Fallon is a lovely girl and just the daughter I'd have chosen if I'd gotten to hand pick. But something has upset Ian and I've yet to learn what it is, so until I do, I'll be somewhat circumspect in my posting. :confused:

Katie