Oct 26  # 1 of 7
OK, I bought me some horn molds. They are kinda small. But they were cheap. So I want to learn how to make cream horns. I am going to start with store bought puff pastry. But I need a good recipe for the filling, or any advice on what to do or not to do. Thanking you in advance. CF:)
Oct 26  # 2 of 7
Vanilla pastry cream can be used in profiteroles, or cream puffs, Napoleons, éclairs, tarts, and Génoise cake. The use of crème patisserie is limited only by your imagination; grace a simple or an elaborate French dessert recipe with it. The results will be equally delicious.

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Chill : 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutesYield: Fills 1 standard pastry recipe

Ingredients:
•1 ¼ cups whole milk
•3 egg yolks
•¼ cup granulated sugar
•1/8 cup all-purpose flour
•2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
•1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preparation:
In a small saucepan, warm the milk over low heat until it is just hot enough to steam. While the milk is warming, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, flour, and cornstarch until the mixture is completely smooth.

Once the milk is steaming, add half of it, whisking constantly, to the egg mixture. Add the milk and eggs back into the hot milk, continue stirring, and heat it for 1-2 minutes, until the custard reaches 170F on a digital thermometer and is very thick. Remove from the heat, stir in the vanilla extract, and chill before filling pastry.
Oct 26  # 3 of 7
CREAM HORNS

4 c. flour
4 sticks butter
1 c. sour cream
2 egg yolks

Mix butter and flour together. Mix egg yolks in sour ream. Add flour mixture to egg mixture. Knead. Wrap and chill overnight. Roll dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut pieces of dough and wrap around 1x5 inch clothespin in foil. Place on ungreased sheet. Bake 375 degrees 7 minutes. Cool.

FILLING:

1 c. milk
6 tbsp. flour
1/4 stick butter
3/4 c. Crisco
4 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Cook milk and flour until very thick like paste; chill. Mix butter, Crisco, powdered sugar and vanilla; mix with paste mixture. Fill each cookie and sprinkle cookies with powdered sugar. Keep refrigerated.
Oct 26  # 4 of 7
CREAM CHEESE HORNS

1 lb. butter
1 (8 oz.) cream cheese
4 c. flour
Filling (any kind)

Combine ingredients like pie dough. Roll and shape into squares. Put any kind of filling you want in center. Pick up corners and pinch together. Bake at 350 degrees until brown. Roll in powdered sugar.
Oct 26  # 5 of 7
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 egg
1 teaspoon water
Powdered sugar in a shaker
1 cup cream, whipped
1 tablespoon sugar
Fresh fruit such as clementine sections, kiwi, strawberries, blueberries
24 karat gold leaf (optional)

Grease 8 cream horn metal cones. Cut the puff pastry into 1/2-inch wide strips. Starting at the point of the cone, wind the pastry around the cone, overlapping the layers slightly to cover the cone with a spiral of pastry. Freeze in an airtight container.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

When ready to bake, whisk the egg with the water and lightly brush the pastry with the egg wash. Shake powdered sugar all over the surfaces and place them, seam side down on a parchment paper lined sheet pan. Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool on the cones. Then remove and fill the cornucopias.

Whip the cream with the 1 tablespoon sugar until stiff, then chill it. Cut up the fruit. If desired, roll the blueberries in gold leaf to guild them. Pipe whipped cream into the pastry to fill in, then place it on a dessert plate. Garnish the cornucopia with cascading cut up fruit, then dust with powdered sugar.

Notes about the recipe: You can also fill these with custard and fruit.