Nov 16  # 1 of 4
This pie is a little different. It uses the whole lemon. A very old recipe maybe more than a hundred years old. A little trouble but worth it. I will say that the lemon peel does leave a slight bitter taste. CF:)

Shaker Lemon Pie
ShakerLemonPie.jpg

Recipe
Shaker Lemon Pie

FOR THE FILLING:
2 large lemons
2 cups sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
4 eggs
4 tbsp. butter, melted
3 tbsp. all-purpose flour

1. For the filling: Thoroughly wash lemons, then dry with paper towel. Finely grate lemon zest into a bowl. Using a mandolin or a sharp knife, slice lemons very thin; remove and discard seeds. Add slices to zest and toss with sugar and salt. Cover and set aside at room temperature for 24 hours. (TC: I even canned this mixture sometimes for later use, if I have a lot of lemons to use.)
Preheat oven to 425°. Whisk eggs in bowl until frothy. Add butter and flour, whisking until smooth. Stir into lemon mixture.
4. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface into two 12″ rounds. Fit one round into a 9″ pie plate and pour in filling. Cover pie with remaining pastry round. Fold edges of dough under, then crimp edges. Cut steam vents in top crust. Bake until edges begin to brown, about 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° and bake until crust is golden brown, 25–30 minutes more. Remove from oven and let cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing.
Nov 17  # 2 of 4
oh could I go for a piece of that - if not the whole pie - mmmmmmmmm
Nov 18  # 3 of 4
I was really disappointed with the bitter after taste. Other lemon pies I have made were much better. CF
Nov 18  # 4 of 4
It could have been your lemons. I made something using fresh lemons and the taste was off - it was the taste of the lemons - like they were stale or something - it was terrible. Mutant lemons.