May 2  # 1 of 1
I listen to NPR and BBC World Service as a source for news while working. Locally here in Maryland we have one of the premier NPR Stations, WAMU, which produces many of the programs on NPR. A little more than a month ago I was driving somewhere and they had a segment of the Kojo Show on Juicing vegetables. Kojo has a regular show on food on Wednesdays and I'm not sure if it's a syndicated program but you can always stream the show online.

The point of all of this is that about 20 years ago I bought a centrifugal juicer that didn't do a good job and was hard to clean. After listening to this program, I found a Kuvings Masticating Juicer online and have been surprised how easy it is make fresh juice and how great the juice tastes without salt. The canned vegetable juices use salt to make up for the loss of flavor over time. But if you make the juice and enjoy it immediately (or within a day), it's absolutely amazing how delicious it is. And it cleans up pretty quick to boot.

It really doesn't matter what vegetable you juice. My first attempt was straight carrot juice. I know this is the usual joke of the freaks but the flavor was just like drinking a carrot. I've been doing this for a few weeks and my current blend is carrot, celery, kale, spinach, tomato, onion, and perhaps a cucumber. Occasionally, a green onion.

If you shop at the Aldi markets, the produce there is really cheap. Got to get my garden going though.

Oh and the fruit juices are awesome, I've done blends of pineapple, apple, strawberry, blueberry and orange/lemon. All are tremendously tasteful.