Aug 3  # 1 of 6
I bought this bone in rib roast, it is select grade. But hey, they were on sale for $3.99 pound. Our local Mexican store had them, they were frozen whole. I had the butcher cut me off about 5#I think it is like 4 bones. Anyway Now I need a good way to cook this roast to medium rare, just pink. Oven or pit with smoke is OK for me.
Need recipe or how to: Thanks CF:)
Aug 5  # 2 of 6
I'm waiting too. JP
Aug 5  # 3 of 6
Jp, I have cooked rolled roast before, (mostly chuck roast) just never a bone in rib roast. I kinda wanted to not screw it up to bad. Ian is a chef maybe he will chime in when he gets time. I think it was couple years ago that he finished culinary school. If not I will give it my best. CF
Aug 7  # 4 of 6
Here's the recipe for the rib roast I do every year at Christmas time - it really is mighty tasty!
Sorry I missed CF's post about needing a recipe to deal with his bargain roast - didn't see it until just a bit ago, tonight.

Ingredients:
For the Roast:

1/2 tsp. salt 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. dried marjoram Standing 3-rib roast of beef, bone in (8 to 9 lb.)
1/4 tsp. dried thyme 1 tsp. liquid browning and seasoning sauce
1/4 tsp. dried basil 1/2 cup good Burgundy wine
1/4 tsp. rubbed savory

For the Burgundy Gravy:

6 tbls. roast beef drippings
1/4 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
Dash freshly ground black pepper
2 cans condensed beef broth (undiluted)
1/2 cup good Burgundy wine

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix salt, herbs and pepper and rub herb mixture into beef roast on all sides and stand roast, fat side up, in a shallow roasting pan (I usually use the broiler pan that came with my oven). If using a meat thermometer, insert it into the roast through the fat into the thickest part of the muscle, being sure not to rest point on fat or bone. Mix browning and seasoning sauce with 1/2 cup Burgundy. Pour this mixture over the roast and place roast in oven, uncovered. Roast, basting several times with remaining Burgundy mixture. 3 1/2 hours for rare (140 on thermometer), 4 1/2 hours for medium (160 on thermometer) or 5 hours for well done (170 on thermometer).

When roast is done to your liking, remove with two large forks to a heated platter and cover with foil. Pour off drippings and reserve. Let stand in warm place while you make gravy and Yorkshire Pudding (I've got a good recipe for Yorkshire Pudding, too, if anyone wants it) Then proceed to make gravy to go with roast.

Return 6 tbls. of reserved drippings to roasting pan. Stir in flour, salt and pepper to make a smooth mixture.
Gradually add beef broth and Burgundy wine, stirring until thickened and free from lumps.

Serve wtih roasted potatoes and vegetables of choice. And, of coarse, Yorkshire Pudding! This roast is succulent and delicious! Enjoy!

If using a larger rib roast with more bones, adjust herbs and liquids accordingly to taste. But the 3-rib roast is just about perfect for our family who gather to chow down at Christmas (or any other time)
Aug 7  # 5 of 6
CF, when I reread what you'd posted I suspect that this recipe may not be exactly what you have in mind to do with your roast. But I have to admit to being completely ignorant of how to smoke a roast like that - have never tried smoking meat of any kind (though I'd love to learn how if I had a decent smoker and had a vague clue what I was doing so I wouldn't end up with burnt offerings!) Cooking in a pit always smells like a great big bit of heaven whenever I've been to a pig roast or whatever but I've no earthly idea how to do it correctly. Maybe one day when you have time you could give me some tips for how to proceed. And advize what works best - beef or pork............................

Ian :confused: