Aug 25  # 1 of 6
Being a heart patient canned beans are totally out of the picture so I use a lot of dried. Thought I would share this simple recipe since it works for a variety of dried beans, requires no pre-soaking and you don't have to stand over it. It requires a 2 Qt slow cooker (4 if you got a lot of folks).

Start with 1 cup (8 oz of dried beans) thats 1/2 a 1 Lb package
4 cups of water
1 packet of beef bullion, or beef broth mix
1/2 tsp salt for you non heart patients (1 tsp NS Seasoning for me)

Plug it in and set it on high. It will be ready in 4 hours. I've used it with Large limas, Navy, Great Norther, Pinto and Red beans.
Aug 25  # 2 of 6
JP, you sure got my attention with the dried beans. Dried beans are one of my favorite foods. I like most all beans, I think the jumbo Lima's and the Anasazi Beans. I like best. Of course Pintos have to come in there someplace. Tell me other beans you like and cook. CF:)

My favorite recipe for Lima's
Creole Lima Beans
1 pound dried large Lima beans
1/2 stick butter
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 TBS fresh garlic, minced
1 fresh tomato
1 TBS sugar
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1 pound sausage of choice, sliced (I use ham hocks, smoked jowl, or smoked sausage.
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups cooked rice

soak beans in enough water to cover, overnight; drain and rinse. Melt butter and add onion and garlic. Sauté for 10 minutes. Add fresh tomato and sugar. Sauté for 5 minutes. Add Rotel, beans, sausage and enough water to cover beans by one inch. Cook 2 hours or until tender. Add salt and pepper. Serve over rice.
Aug 26  # 3 of 6
Tex-Mex Pinto Beans
1/2 the original to fit 2 Qt Slow Cooker

8 oz dried pinto beans
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 tsp minced garlic
3 1/4 cups water
1/2 Tbs Chili powder
1/2 tsp salt or 3/4 tsp NS Seasoning
1/4 tsp black pepper

Soak overnight. Mix everything into a 2 Qt slow cooker. Set on low for 7 to 9 hours.
Aug 26  # 4 of 6
Thats the way I cook them to, with cornbread. Wife cooked some the other day, just the old fashion way. No chile powder, She used Ham hocks. They were good also. Guess we will have left overs to night. She made spaghetti yesterday. CF
Aug 27  # 5 of 6
The Tex-Mex recipe was a way to get the Ranch Style Beans (Canned) that I was no longer allowed to have because of the sodium. That's the reason for the chili powder.