Aug 29  # 1 of 9
I've always liked the Chicken and Sausage gumbo with the dark roue. If anyone knows how to make it please let me know. Now that I have a recipe for Andouille sausage that is low in sodium I could pull it off.
Sep 1  # 2 of 9
JP, this is not gumbo but worth cooking, I like it better than gumbo. CF:)

Crawfish or Shrimp Stew

2-3 pounds shrimp or crawfish tails (if using shrimp I peel them first)
½ pound butter
½ cup chopped onion
½ cup chopped poblano Chile (Can use bell pepper)
½ cup chopped celery
¼ cup chopped green onion with tops
2 cloves of garlic chopped
1 8 oz. can tomato paste
¾ - 1 cup of flour
3 teaspoon Cajun seasoning. More can be added later per you taste.

How to do this
Melt butter in a large heavy pot.
Add tomato paste and stir until dark and the tomato paste has caramelized. (Don’t let it burn or stick)
Add, onion, Chile, celery, green onion, garlic and seasoning. Continue to stir until vegetables are soft.
Add ¾ cup of flour to make a paste. This is a thickener for your stew; more can be added later if needed.
Add 2 cups of water and the shrimp or crawfish tails. Add more water if needed. Turn on low and simmer for 1 half hour.
Serve over rice.
Sep 1  # 3 of 9
MY brother in law makes this one when he comes to visit. He lives in Franklin La. Good stuff man. CF:)

CHICKEN AND SAUSAGE GUMBO

Perhaps the simplest of the gumbos, but a hearty one and a classic combination. If you can't find andouille, use a local smoked sausage or kielbasa or whatever smoked sausage you like. This one's easy to knock off quickly for a great evening's meal.
• 1 cup oil
• 1 cup flour
• 2 large onions, chopped
• 2 bell peppers, chopped
• 4 ribs celery, chopped
• 4 - 6 cloves garlic, minced
• 4 quarts chicken stock
• 2 bay leaves
• 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning, or to taste
• 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
• 1 large chicken (young hen preferred), cut into pieces
• 2 pounds andouille or smoked sausage, cut into 1/2" pieces
• 1 bunch scallions (green onions), tops only, chopped
• 2/3 cup fresh chopped parsley
• Filé powder to taste

Season the chicken with salt, pepper and Creole seasoning and brown quickly. Brown the sausage, pour off fat and reserve meats.
In a large, heavy pot, heat the oil and cook the flour in the oil over medium to high heat (depending on your roux-making skill), stirring constantly, until the roux reaches a dark reddish-brown color, almost the color of coffee or milk chocolate for a Cajun-style roux. If you want to save time, or prefer a more New Orleans-style roux, cook it to a medium, peanut-butter color, over lower heat if you're nervous about burning it.
Add the vegetables and stir quickly. This cooks the vegetables and also stops the roux from cooking further. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, for about 4 minutes.
Add the stock, seasonings, chicken and sausage. Bring to a boil, then cook for about one hour, skimming fat off the top as needed.
Add the chopped scallion tops and parsley, and heat for 5 minutes. Serve over rice in large shallow bowls. Accompany with a good beer and lots of hot, crispy French bread.
YIELD: About 12 entrée sized servings.
Sep 1  # 4 of 9
My main problem is making that dark rich roux but your directions may work for me. The Andouille sausage I make myself (low sodium diet, you know) so that's not a problem.
Sep 2  # 5 of 9
JP, I to make sausage but have not made Andouille , although I have several recipes. Don't know what I am waiting for. I love sausage. CF