What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Besides rice, potatoes, and noodles

what are some of your favorite starches to fill out a meal? I like dry beans (No secret there) and I also like using bread and crackers with little chunks of cheese as a side dish. There are these Cuban crackers that make a meal kind of feel "completed" when served along side the main courses and veggies.

I have recently discovered a vegetable called Yuca, it is similar in many ways to a potato and can be cooked just like a 'tater, it is quite a bit starchier and so for a "gringa" like me took a little getting used to. There is also Couscous, and fried plantains. I am more fond of the traditional starches I grew up eating, but having the desire to switch up every now and then I have sought out a variety of choices to try.

What have all of you been enjoying eating as sides that are a little out of the ordinary?

I would have to start with stuffing Cathy. It can be made so many different ways and go with just about anything. Bread and biscuits are also a must. I also enjoy beans. Dumplings kind of fall between the biscuit and noodle category the way I make them. I make both the biscuit type and a flat noodle type. My wife and kids love Couscous. Another big starch item around here are tortillas. Flour and corn. Tortillas are one of those things you can do anything with. I am also addicted now to having Yorkshire puddings with roast and gravy. They are also great for meat salads like ham, turkey, chicken salads and tuna salad.

I love couscous -
Couscous:

1 (10 ounce) box couscous
1 medium zucchini
1 (14 ounce) can Del Monte crushed tomatoes with mild green chilies

Yield: 3 servings

Prepare couscous in sauce pan by bringing 1 1/2 cups of water to boil.
Place zucchini in a steamer basket over boiling water. cover saucepan and steam 5-7 mins or until zucchini is bright green and tender.
Mix couscous and tomatoes and pour over zucchini and serve hot or cold.

and barley:
1/2 cup butter
440 mL [1 3/4 tasse] pearl barley
2 medium onions, finely chopped
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
4 cups chicken or beef broth [more if needed]
1/2 cup tiny Macadamia nut pieces
1/2 cup chopped parsley
Preheat oven to 350°F
Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter until golden; brown perl barley into melted butter.
Using slotted spoon, transfer golden perl barley into a buttered oven-safe casserole.
Add remaining butter to melted butter; brown together chopped onions and mushroom slices.
Stir vegetables mixture into barley mixture, into casserole.
Pour 2 cups chicken or beef broth into casserole; tightly cover casserole.
Transfer into preheated oven, for 45 minutes.
Mix in remaining chicken or beef broth.
Bake, uncovered for 45 mintues more, stirring from time to time.
Fifteen minutes before the end of cooking time, mix in tiny Macadamia nut pieces and chopped parsley.
If mixture becomes too dry, stir in more chicken or beef broth.

I use many different things since I need to avoid wheat. I use buckwheat groats, quinoa, millet and polenta. I also use a lot of beans. We love roasted cauliflower and I'm currently in love with socca so I would serve that at any opportunity.

I like cous-cous a lot, Cathy. Also barley pilaf. And as IC mentions- stuffing! Especially cornbread stuffing w/ lots of sage and turkey/chicken giblets.

ooops! I corrected my post. I had originally typed "CanMan" above incorrectly- but I just replaced it w/ "IC" for accuracy. Sorry CanMan and IC!

Last edited:
Well a lot of recipes will call for heavy cream but I don't think that is necessary. When I had polenta in Italy they just used plain water and then added some cheese at the end. This is the recipe I normally use. It's really easy

Basic Polenta

6 servings

• 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal (not coarse)
• 7 1/2 cups water
• 2 3/4 teaspoons salt
• 2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Bring cornmeal, water, and 2 1/4 teaspoons salt to a boil in a 4-quart heavy saucepan, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, until polenta is creamy and tender, about 50 minutes. Remove from heat, then stir in 11/2 tablespoons butter

Also grits are delicious as a side dish. Switch out the polenta for quick cooking but not instant grits, switch out half of the water above for whole milk and then add half a cup of sharp white cheddar cheese at the end after the butter. Serve with salmon and it's heaven on your plate.

Also grits are delicious as a side dish. Switch out the polenta for quick cooking but not instant grits, switch out half of the water above for whole milk and then add half a cup of sharp white cheddar cheese at the end after the butter. Serve with salmon and it's heaven on your plate.

I was thinking the same thing last night, your recipe for grits sounds wonderful!

I like Pierogies, with sour cream as a side dish. I also like couscous, I always have a box or two stocked. Mama your recipe sounds Good! Cookie:)

Grits?

Funny... When I cooked at Alaskan work camps, about half the population was from the deep south and they expected grits on the breakfast line every morning. Some ate them plain or w/ butter... others even loaded'em up w/ cheese. The Yankees thought they were Cream of Wheat and fixed-up big ol bowls of them w/ sugar and milk- or like oatmeal w/ raisins and brown sugar. Crazy boys!

Another advantage of "Quick" grits is no sodium. At least in the ones I have found. The other grits had sodium. That added one more item I'm allowed to eat.

Couscous and quinoa are 2 of my favorites, because they're so versatile. You can make them with stock instead of water for added flavor to compliment your main course. You can add colorful fruits, nuts, and vegetables. Peppers, pineapple bits, raisins, almonds are a few of things I often toss in.

Also grits are delicious as a side dish.

My son-in-law fixed Cheezy corn grits to go with marinated chicken he cooked on a rotissouri (Sp) in a fire pit in the back yard. It was great but probably off the charts for my low sodium diet. I quess I fell off the wagon.

Cathy - Of your three basic starches I tend to stick with potatoes the most. They are higher in sodium then pasta and rice but very much lower in calories.

Pasta 2 oz serving 210 calories 0 mg sodium
White Rice 1/2 cup 194 calories 0 mg sodiium
Brown Rice 1/2 cup 109 calories 0 mg sodium
Potato 1/2 cup diced 59 calories 5 mg sodium

Gee I didn't need to bring this up, did I.

Wow John I did not know that, heck I need to eat more 'taters;) I love them anyway!!!

SilverSage, I love CousCous, but only when I make it, like you I use brothe etc. to make mine and my hubby loves it. Have never tried Quinona, although I have been dying to try it, where do you find it? I doubt around here they even have it, I hear it is REALLY good for you.

Publix carries it here in FL. So does Harris Teeter in N.C. You have both Publix and Harris Teeter in Georgia, don't you?

Back