Oct 10  # 1 of 15
This is something my french aunt always made for us kids and tonight my wife made it and I thought I'd share it with you.

Next time you make french fries (and I'm assuming every one knows I'm not talking about the frozen kind ) Next time slice up an onion and fry it along with the potatoes. I really adds a lot to your basic fries. you don't even need salt and pepper it's that good.

enjoy :)
Oct 10  # 2 of 15
Will def. give it a try next time we do french fries! Thanks for the tip. That'd be good for Jpshaw too as he could enjoy his fries and not have to worry about salting them:)
Oct 10  # 3 of 15
taters and onions deep fried are the best! sometimes I just sprinkle with a bit of paprika - just for "the look"
Oct 11  # 4 of 15
My mom used to fry potatoes from raw in a black cast iron skillet, with an onion sliced up and thrown in w/ it. She'd fry'em until brown, crusty and crunchy... This was a starch we ate regularly to accompany many dishes from pork chops to fish. She also used to make them when she simmered up a big pot of ham n' beans. Our routine was, we'd split a big slice of cornbread onto a plate or in a large bowl. Spoon some of the fried potatoes atop- then smother all in several ladles of rich, smokey navy beans and ham- then sprinkle w/ hot sauce. YUM! MMM... the good ol' days! :)
Oct 11  # 5 of 15
I love crispy fired taters and onions! You're right - they complimented anything - moms sure knew how to fill our tummies! And they were cheap staples in those days.