Jul 31  # 1 of 4
Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole Recipe - a knockoff

This recipe was given to me by a co-worker who found it in a cookbook of knockoffs from famous restaurant recipes. It's simply delicious! Cory said the name of the cookbook is "Creating kitchen clones and it's "Top
Secret restaurant Recipes and is compiled by a person by the name of Todd Wilbur. That's all the information I've got on this recipe.........

Ingredients:

26 oz. frozen country-style hash browns
2 cups shredded Colby cheese
1/4 cup minced onion - dried minced onion
1 cup milk
1/2 cup beef stock or canned broth
2 tbls. melted butter - divided
Dash garlic powder
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees
Combine frozen hash browns, cheese and onion in a large bowl. Mix together thoroughly.
Combine the milk, beef broth 1 tbls. of the melted butter, the garlic powder, salt and pepper in another bowl.
Mix until well blended, then pour over the hash browns and cheese/onion mixture and mix together well.
Heat the remaining butter in a large, ovenproof skillet over high heat. When the skillet is hot, spoon in the hash brown mixture and, at a lower heat setting, cook, stirring occasionally, until hash browns are very hot and all the cheese is melted, about 7 minutes.
Put the skillet into the oven and bake for 45 to 60 minutes until hash browns are browned completely on top and casserole is bubbly on surface. Serve with selected meat and eggs for a delicious meal. Excellent!

Cooking Tip from Cody: Spray the skillet completely with cooking spray before cooking or baking the casserole to prevent sticking or burning. Otherwise, it's a bearcat to clean up afterwards! Burned on cheese and concrete have quite a lot in common!

Now that we have the recipe for this, guess what we're having for supper tonight? I just love breakfast for supper!

Ian
Aug 1  # 2 of 4
Nothing there not to like, you know I had to copy and save.
You having anything with it, like eggs? CF
Aug 2  # 3 of 4
I would have to make a half recipe of this since I'm usually cooking for two. Would like to make it in my cast iron but that would be a triiple hassle to clean up so will probably go with the ceramic skillet. Wonder how much it will stick to ceramic?
Aug 2  # 4 of 4
I would think it won't stick, might spray anyway just to be sure.
I love cast iron, mine are so old they are slick as a button. Not much sticks to them. I coat with lard after each use, keeps them slick.
I will be cutting the recipe in half also, Ian is feeding a bunch of hungry guys. CF:)