Aug 15  # 1 of 8
Spent the other morning working up a batter recipe for onion rings and managed to lose it. It had corn meal, flour and an egg in it and that's about all I remember. Anyone have a decent one I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Aug 15  # 2 of 8
Have this one JP, but have never used it . Course it has salt, The one you had with the corn meal sounds good. Let me check around and see what pops up. CF:)

Beer batter Onion rings

Ingredients:
• 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 2 large sweet onions, sliced
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
• 2 egg yolks
• 3/4 cup beer
Preparation:
Mix together the flour, salt, pepper, oil and egg yolks. Gradually whisk in the beer. Refrigerate the batter 3 to 4 hours before using. Slice onions into rings; separate rings and dip in the batter. Deep-fry in batches in 370° oil until golden brown
Aug 15  # 3 of 8
Jp, This one looks good. CF

Ingredients

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon white sugar

1 tablespoon salt

2 teaspoons paprika

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper

1 quart oil for deep frying

Directions
1. Line 2 baking sheets with waxed paper; set aside. Line 2 additional baking sheets or 1 tray with paper towels; set aside.
2. Place 1 1/2 cups of flour in a shallow bowl. Pour the milk into a second shallow bowl. In a third bowl, stir together the cornmeal, 2 cups flour, sugar, salt, paprika, cayenne pepper, thyme, and black pepper.
3. Dip the onion rings first into the plain flour, then into the milk, and last into the cornmeal mixture. Place the breaded rings on the wax paper-lined baking sheets.
4. Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat, or deep-fryer to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C).
5. Fry the onion rings a few at a time in the hot oil so they are not crowded, until golden brown. Drain on paper towel-lined baking sheets, and serve immediately.
Aug 16  # 4 of 8
First one sounds more like it but it had cornmeal in it. I just have to adjust my cornmeal/flour portions to match the one egg. I think it had milk in it but beer would work too. Thanks CF.
Aug 16  # 5 of 8
JP, I must admit I love onions in any form. I don't make onions rings because of being hard to do. Well, not hard but time wise. I am more of a bake, broil, or smoke kind of person. I do fry some things. Something I have been doing lately that works really well. When cooking fried meat like pork chops or chicken fried steak. I fry rather fast just to get the breading browned. I then place on a cooling rack placed on a cookie sheet and finish cooking them in the oven. None greasy and crispy. CF