3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon flour
2 cups consommé
3 cups water
1/4 to 1/2 pound grated Swiss cheese
6 dried slices French bread
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons melted butter

In a heavy skillet, cook the onions in heated butter until slightly browned. Sprinkle with flour and cook over low heat until golden. Add beef consommé and water. Preheat broiler. Bring to a boil, stirring with a wooden spoon, and then simmer 20 minutes uncovered. Pour soup into ovenproof individual bowls. Place slices of fresh bread on top. Sprinkle with Swiss cheese. Add pepper. Sprinkle with melted butter. Brown quickly under a broiler. Makes 4 to 6 servings of French Onion Soup
Aug 14  # 2 of 8
I've also made French Onion soup with Chicken Broth. Comes out quite nice with a rich golden color. Also Gruyere cheese is a great cheese to use besides Swiss Cheese. And unseasoned croutons are a great alternative to bread yet my favorite is sour dough bread cut into a round to fit the top of the bowl or cup and then topped with cheese.
Aug 14  # 3 of 8
I've done French Onion soup with both beef and chicken broth - usually using Swiss or Gruyere - until one day I was desperate and I used provolone - place on thick sliced Italian bread, lightly buttered, topped with provolone and sprinkled with Pecorino Romano.

Hey - what can I say??? I was desperate! LOL!! And I enjoyed it!
Feb 12  # 4 of 8
Quote GregGraves wrote:
4 medium onions, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon flour
2 cups consommé
3 cups water
1/4 to 1/2 pound grated Swiss cheese
6 dried slices French bread
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons melted butter

In a heavy skillet, cook the onions in heated butter until slightly browned. Sprinkle with flour and cook over low heat until golden. Add beef consommé and water. Preheat broiler. Bring to a boil, stirring with a wooden spoon, and then simmer 20 minutes uncovered. Pour soup into ovenproof individual bowls. Place slices of fresh bread on top. Sprinkle with Swiss cheese. Add pepper. Sprinkle with melted butter. Brown quickly under a broiler. Makes 4 to 6 servings of French Onion Soup
Hi,
thank you very much for the recipe.
Aug 7  # 5 of 8
I used to get this soup from diners in ny all the time. its delicious.