6 med potatoes peeled and diced
1/2 large onion diced
1 can evaporated milk
1/4 stick butter
1/4 c. flour
salt & pepper
parsley
diced celery (optional)

Boil potatoes until tender, drain, and reserve the liquid. In a dutch oven melt butter and saute onions in melted butter. Add flour to the sauted onions and butter continue to cook until thoroughly incorporated add more butter if needed to keep it from being too thick. Add the entire can of evaporated milk while stirring constantly as it thickens begin adding the drained and saved potato water until soup is desired consistency. Add potatoes back to the soup, then salt & pepper, parsley and celery. Continue to heat thoroughly do not bring to a boil. Serve as is or top with shredded cheddar cheese, bacon bits, and diced chives or diced green onion. If desired you may add ham cubes, or some Hormel Smokies cut into tiny bits (I cut each smokie into 4 pieces) or even some leftover steak pieces if you have some. All you need is salad and bread for a complete meal! Best if prepared with real butter:)
May 4  # 2 of 8
Sounds good! I make mine similar - and I add chipped carrots, whole milk instead of evaporated and you can thicken it with potato flakes.
May 4  # 3 of 8
Thanks for sharing your recipe.
May 4  # 4 of 8
You're welome! And MamaM I also use whole milk and leave out the potato water when I do. I just love potato soup, but split pea is my ultimate favorite! And then beef & barley!
May 4  # 5 of 8
Not many like split pea soup! I do - always did. I love vegetable beef barley soup done in the oven - perfect when the weather is cold and you have a lot to do - just put it in the cast iron Dutch oven on 300* and let it go. I also love corn soup! And sausage soup. And chicken noodle soup. YIKES! I guess I love soups!

And of course - I can't leav off minestrone! LOL