May 4  # 1 of 9
Im gonna bug you again :o
I want to make a big pot of hearty soup and some crusty bread.
I would love a recipe for soup maybe minestrone.
I love soup or stew with tomato of any kind in it.
Do you have a suggestion and a hmm..recipe I can get :D
May 5  # 2 of 9
Yes dear - here's a few:

1 ham bone
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 carrots, chopped
1/4 cup parsley, minced
1/2 cup lentils
1 fennel bulb, chopped
1/2 lb. fresh spinach, shredded
1 cup fresh or frozen lima beans
1/4 cup lean salt pork, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
0 16 oz. can cannelini beans
4 medium tomatoes, chopped
2 cups fresh or frozen peas
1/2 lb. wide noodles (broken into small pieces)

Simmer ham bone for 2 hours in water to cover. Remove bone from stock, trim meat from bone in pieces and return to stock. Set aside until needed. Heat olive oil in soup pot, cook salt pork until crisp and then add carrots, garlic and parsley and saute a few minutes. Add remaining ingredients, except spinach and noodles. Pour in reserved ham stock, cover and simmer 1 hour. Add spinach and cooked noodles

ROASTED TOMATO SOUP

8-10 ripe tomatoes (3 lbs.), cored, halved and seeded
1 1/2 tsp. olive oil
2 red onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3 cups defatted reduced-sodium chicken stock
3 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste

Preheat broiler. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Place tomatoes on the baking sheet, cut-side down. Broil until skins are blistered, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool. Slip off skins and chop coarsely. Meanwhile, in a medium-sized saucepan, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add onions and sauté for 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté until the onions are very soft, about 5 minutes longer. Stir in tomatoes and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender and process until smooth; return to the saucepan. Stir in chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in basil. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate
until chilled, at least 1 hour. (The soup can be stored, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.)

TOMATO BARLEY SOUP

1 cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrots
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 1/2 cups water
2 tomatoes, diced
1 (14.5 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes with juice
1 (10.75 ounce) can chicken broth
1/4 cup uncooked barley
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions
1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the onions, celery, carrots, garlic and oil and saute for 5 to 10 minutes, or until all vegetables are almost tender.

2. Then add the water, fresh tomatoes, canned tomatoes, chicken broth, barley and ground black pepper.

3. Stir thoroughly and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes, or until barley is tender.

MINESTRONE

1 lb. beet greens
4 Tbsp. 0live oil
1/3 lb. fresh pork rind (cut in 1 inch pieces)
1/4 lb. prosciutto, cut small
3/4 lb. cannellini beans
1 small zucchini, diced
2 qts. water
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. parsley
1/2 lb. spaghetti (broken in 1 inch pieces)
1 cup Parmesan cheese

Wash beet greens and chop coarsely. Heat oil over medium heat, add pork rind, onion and parsley, cook slowly. Add prosciutto, beans and water. Season with salt and pepper, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Add beet greens. When soup starts to boil add the pasta. When pasta is al dente add zucchini. The finished soup should be thick. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese. Serves 6.

OR

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound mild Italian sausage, casings removed
1 onion, chopped
1 rib celery, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
4 cups drained and rinsed canned white beans, preferably cannellini beans (from two 19-ounce cans)
10 cups water
1 cup canned diced tomatoes with their juice
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
2/3 pound spinach, stems removed and leaves washed well (about 1 1/2 quarts)
Grated Parmesan cheese, for serving

In a large pot, heat the oil over moderately high heat. Add the sausage and cook, stirring frequently, until browned, about 5 minutes. Remove the sausage with a slotted spoon.

Reduce the heat to moderate. Add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic, thyme, and bay leaf to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften, about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine 2 cups of the beans and 2 cups of the water in a blender and puree until smooth.

Add the tomatoes, the bean puree, the remaining 8 cups water, the salt, and the pepper to the pot. Bring to a boil, skimming any foam that rises to the surface. Stir in the sausage, the remaining 2 cups beans, and the spinach. Simmer until the spinach wilts, about 3 minutes. Serve the soup topped with grated Parmesan, and pass more Parmesan at the table.

I've got more.................
May 5  # 3 of 9
Any more you want to share I will be delighted to take.
I had to reformat my computer last night and I refused to do it til I backed up the recipes you had given me lol. I had gotten hammered by some sort of addware. Whenever I did a search for anything it was bringing up some wierd stuff. I tried to get it out for hours but finally gave up and reformatted the pc BUT I did save my recipes first.

Thanks so much for these.
I got a wonderful Italian cookbook today that reminded me of you.
Its called Lidia's Italian American Kitchen.
May 6  # 4 of 9
Sorry to hear about your computer problems - and I am complimented that you backed up my recipes! As far as Lidia - she is good - you will like the book. She cooks a little different that I do - but we all have our ways.

I'll post more soup recipes for you.
May 6  # 5 of 9
lol Helps when I spell Lidia right.
Looking forward to more soup recipes.
Thank you so much for all of your help.