Oct 24  # 1 of 14
I've developed a recipe for an low sodium onion soup that was based on Tylers Ultimate featuring French Onion soup. In converting this to low sodium I have omited the bread and cheese that it was served with but have retained the flour. My question is what makes French onion soup "French"? Is it the flour or the bread and cheese that make it considered French. I don't know if I should refer to my soup as French onion or just onion soup. Which is it? BTW I've added a whole lot of fresh thyme to mine. If anyone is interested in a low sodium onion (or French onion) soup with lots of flavor and very little sodium, let me know and I will post it.
Oct 24  # 2 of 14
some say it is because the original recipe called for French bread to be toasted in the oven and then placed on top of the soup and it was developed in France

soups from the middle ages were made this way so that the bread could sop up the broth and French onion soup is reminicent of that
Oct 24  # 3 of 14
Then mine is not French but low sodium onion soup which is fine. Thanks Mama.
Oct 24  # 4 of 14
Onion soup is onion soup to me - the Romans and the Greeks had their own version of French onion - to me - it's just onion soup. Even modified for a special diet - it's still onion soup - and it's good! It doens't have to be French to be good.
Oct 24  # 5 of 14
Oh I knew it was good. I just didn't know what the proper name for it was. I knew I had made it from modifying Tylers Ultimate French onion soup and I don't care what it is called. Onion soup is easier to say anyway.