What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paging Mama

with or without a ham bone? sausage??? pancetta?? crockpot?? soup pot??

pick through and clean lentils

chopped onion, chopped celery, chopped carrot, minced garlic, water or chicken broth (I prefer chicken broth - can use vegetable stock) tomatoes (canned or fresh) or a dollop of tomato paste are optional as well, salt, parsley, pepper, bayleaf (optional)

crockpot - all goes in

pancetta? saute with onions, carrots and celery in soup pot, add lentils, broth, tomatoes, season - simmer till done

ham bone or sausage - do the boil routine with onions, celery, carrots, skim, add the rest

I do not soak my lentils - some do - I don't

variation - can add chestnuts or water chestnuts

I fry my sausage first - habit - but on low - depending on the age of the crockpot (the models from the more recent years are newer and cook faster than the old ones from the 70's) if I use my old ne from the 70's (3 1/2 quart) it takes a good 6 hours - if I use my newer 6-qt. on high - 3 to 4 depending on how much I am making

Thanks Mama, Sounds like a nice Saturday morning adventure. I'll post pics when it's done. Kevin would be disappointed if I didn't :rolleyes:

Back