May 7  # 1 of 12
First off this is to be converted to a "Low sodium" recipe so any cheese is a no-no). I have found a decent substitute for milk (Original Coffee Mate at 0 sodium) and my first thought was I can now make potato soup.
May 7  # 2 of 12
Bennigan's Potato Soup

1 ¾ oz ham base
2 quarts chicken stock
8 oz yellow onion, diced
3 oz margarine
2 lb potatoes, cut to bite size
1 ½ tspn black pepper
2 cups milk
3 oz flour
3 oz margarine

Combine chicken stock in sauce pan with ham base. Stir until lumps are gone.

In separate stock pot: melt first margarine measurement; add onion and sauté until transparent. Add potato bite size pieces and pepper.

Add chicken stock mix and stir until well mixed. Bring mixture to a boil.

In small pan, melt second margarine measure and add flour to create a roux. It should be light brown in color. When stock comes to a boil, add roux with a wire whisk. This will cause the soup to start thickening. Return to a boil. Slowly add the milk.

If the soup is too thin, make additional roux and add it to the soup. If you need to do this, be sure to cook the roux until a tan color. This will get rid of the raw flour taste. If the soup is too thick, thin it out with more milk.

Potato Soup

1 Tbsp flour
3 potatoes
4 cups milk
1 onion
2 stalks celery
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 Tbsp butter
Carrots and Bacon pieces (optional)

Cook potatoes and onions in salted water, until they are soft mashed. Scald milk with the celery, remove celery and add the butter and flour which is creamed together. Then add the prepared potatoes to the milk and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and serve at once.

6 large potatoes, diced, more or less*
2 Tbsp margarine (can use more if preferred)
3 cups water, more or less*
1 medium, chopped, onion*
1/2 - 1 carrot, grated*
1/2 large, finely chopped, bell pepper*
Salt/pepper to taste

After cooking, cool slightly, and add 1 cup (plus/minus) milk

*increase vegetables if cooking a larger amount

This can be cooked on the stove in a large pot (volume increases when thickened), cool down slightly-helps prevent lumps, thicken with flour/water paste (about 3 heaping Tbsp flour to every 2-3 cups of liquid and blend in blender or shake/mix vigorously, and if lumpy, strain out the lumps), add to potato mixture and cook on medium heat (don't scorch the milk) 'til thickens (or use corn starch to thicken, or potato flakes)

add mushrooms or leeks if you want

This is a base soup. You can eat it as is, or customize it by adding bacon, celery, onions, carrots, or whatever you like. Nondairy creamer is my choice, but you can use light cream or canned milk. Do not use red potatoes to make this soup.

Yield: 20 servings

Ingredients:

10 pounds peeled and cubed potatoes
4 cups non-dairy creamer
salt and pepper to taste

1. Place potatoes in a large pot, and cover with water. The water level should stand about 2 inches above potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until very tender.

2. Remove soup from heat, and slowly stir in nondairy creamer. Continue stirring until soup is creamy.

3. Mash slightly with a potato masher. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot or cold.

I hope you can use something here -
May 7  # 3 of 12
Thanks Mama. I can use several. Just not the ones with bacon or the ham base. I've just discovered non-dairy creamer as a milk sub and I'm going to use it.
May 7  # 4 of 12
you're very welcomed - I was hoping you could use something here.
May 20  # 5 of 12
A little tweeking of Mamas recipes and I came up with this. I really like it. The celery seed is because celery is fairly high in sodium (about 140 a cup, chopped).

1 1/2 - 2 Pds potatoes (diced)
1/8 tsp celery seed
1/2 cup onions, both green and regular, chopped
2 cups chicken broth (I use Herb-Ox)
1 cup Original Coffee Mate
2 Tbs flour
2 Tbs unsalted butter
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt sub

In 3 Qt saucepan saute the onion in the butter until soft. Add the flour to the onions and stir until it sticks to the bottom. Add everything else but the coffee mate, bring to a boil, cover and simmer 20 minutes until potatoes are tender. Add the Coffee Mate during the last few minutes.