What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chiorzo Chili

LynnA

Beef, Black Bean and Chiorzo Chili

(note can use Chicken in place of Beef)

6.5 oz of Chiorz Sausage (comes in mild/hot..choose to your liking)
1.5 pounds of chopped stew meat, or chopped cooked chicken
1.5 C. chopped onion
4 cloves of garlic minced
Small can of chipoltle chilies in adobo sauce (chopped chilis)
3 Tbsp(no more) tomato paste
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp unsweetened cocoa …like Bakers powdered kind
1 tsp ground Coriander
1 tsp dried Oregano
1 tsp ground Cumin
1 C. dry red wine (can use water but the wine flavors nicely! This is the equivelant of a small single serve bottle)
¼ C. lime juice (can substitute lemon in a pinch)
2 – 14oz cans of lower sodium beef broth …or mix bouillion to make 28 oz.
1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes…plain or seasoned

2 Tbsp cornmeal or masa harina

2 – 15 oz cans of pinto, or great northern beans, rinse and drain
1 – 15 oz can black beans, rinse and drain

In 6 qt pot, on Med Hi heat, brown the chiorzo(if you get the kind in case, sqeeze out and brown like ground beef. If it is the slice kind, then slice thinly) Saute for 3 min or till done if like ground beef.

Remove the chiorzo from the pan. Add the beef or chix, sauté about 5 min or until done.
Add onion and garlic – sauté about 3 min.

If your chilis are whole, use 4 – chopped fine. With the minced kind, then use about ½ of the can, unless you like HOT then toss more in.

Add the Chiorzo back to meat/onion/garlic mix.

Add the tomato paste, sugar, cocoa, coriander oregano and cumin to the pot. Stir well and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the wine, lime juice, beef broth and tomatoes.

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
Stir occasionally.

Gradually stir in the corn meal (masa harina) Add the beans, stir them in well and cover. Simmer 30 minutes.

Serve immediately or cool and refrigerate..the flavors will be enhanced!

chorizo is soooooooo bad for you! you should not eat it. you can get the same flavor experimenting with chili powder, paprika, old bay, etc... the trans fats are fats that your body cannot digest and cannot expel. they stay in your body and will cause clogged arteries! watch out!

Chiorzo

You know I did not think of that..and we are generally very healthy eaters! Thank you for the suggestion, I think I will try it next time with gr turkey and spices instead.

I appreciate your jogging my brain!

I really don't think that the amount of chorizo this recipe calls for is going to do much harm. It's not like you are eating 2 pounds of chorizo per serving.
Everything in moderation.

Back