Nov 15  # 1 of 5
This may sound odd, but I have run across a couple of recipes on line that state that I should "reconstitute dried cranberries just like I would raisins". Well, since, to my knowledge, I have never reconstituted raisins I'm not sure what they mean.

I bought an average sized container of dried cranberries and was just going to put them in my stuffing but now I'm not sure what I should do.

Do I put them in hot water for 15 minutes before I add them to my stuffing or do I just put them in the stuffing which I am going to put in the oven (and the bird) for 30 minutes or so.

Also, I have a bag of fresh cranberries and for those I thought I would just cook them until they pop, drain, and put them in the stuffing. Should I consider running them through a food processor?

Any help would be appreciated.
Nov 15  # 2 of 5
You got it right, just soak 15 minutes drain and use them! If you want to use whole fresh cranberries I am lost on that have never tried that one yet. By the way welcome to SpicePlace!
Nov 15  # 3 of 5
Cathy is right about the dried cranberries.

If usmg fresh cranberries in your stuffing - here's a recipe that will give you an idea of how to do it:

•2 cups onion, diced
•½ cup butter, melted
•2 cups fresh cranberries
•2 tablespoons brown sugar
•2 teaspoons dried rosemary
•2 teaspoons dried sage
•¼ cup fresh orange juice
•¾ cup chicken broth
•12 to 14 slices of raisin bread, dried and cut into cubes and toasted in a little butter

1.In a skillet cook onion in 2 tablespoons butter until soft.
2.Add cranberries, brown sugar, herbs, orange juice, and chicken stock and bring to a boil. The cranberries will pop and when they do remove from heat.
3.Place bread in a bowl and pour the other ingredients plus the rest of the melted butter over top and stir with a wooden spoon and put into a buttered dish.
4.Bake at 30 minutes at 350 degrees F covered with foil then remove foil and bake another 30 minutes.
Nov 15  # 4 of 5
Thanks to both of you - think I've got it now.

The recipe sounds good - will try it sometime. For this year I'm doing a sausage, apple and cranberry dressing and thought a mix of already dried and fresh cranberries sounded like a good idea when I was in the store. Of course, then I got home and realized I haven't cooked with cranberries before. Duh!

Anyway, thanks to both of you - pretty sure I can handle this.

Happy Holidays to both u & yours!
Nov 16  # 5 of 5
You're welcomed! Let us know how it turns out.