Jul 6  # 1 of 3
Broccoli Au Gratin

The easiest way is to steam your broccoli until it is the
texture you like and transfer it to a casserole, cover with grated cheese and put it under a broiler until the cheese melts and starts to brown.

The not so easy way
Steam the fresh broccoli until al dente, cover with bechamel
sauce and sprinkle with bread crumbs, brown under broiler.

Or for something different -
saute lightly in butter with a little left over spatzel and fresh garlic.
Aug 8  # 2 of 3
Wow! I never heard of broiled brocolli. What's next fried oatmeal :) Really, Mama, is it that easy that you can sprinkle on cheese, broil until the cheese melts and eat? Is it crunchy or tender?
Aug 15  # 3 of 3
Hi Greg - I'm a few days in the past yet and I just noticed this - sorry!
I love steamed veggies - and you can steam them from crisp-tender to mush if you want! But it's easy to do - doesn't need much attention while steaming as long as you have enough water in the pot and a "comfortable flame" under it (medium heat) and you can add any other veggies you want. The broiler isn't on all that long and if you have a toaster oven you can achieve the same results! If it is not 100 degress outside you can even slide in the oven to melt the cheese! I've even used leftover steamed broccoli from the day before - you don't know the difference once it is thoroughly heated and cheesy! Bread crumbs are optional - sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

I don't own a microwave (yes I do - but its for heating the wax for my eyebrows - NOT for cooking a thing in it!) so I don't know how it would work melting the cheese in the microwave and/or if it would change the texture of the broccoli. (I'm probably the only person in the world with a microwave stored in her linen closet and used occasionally for eyebrow wax! LOL