Jan 19  # 1 of 7
A friend of mine here at work and I were just discussing "prickly pear cactus" and he mentioned that you can eat the fruit....Does anyone have any suggestions? I love marinated artichoke hearts, and all such goodies. So if you have any suggestions let me know.
Jan 21  # 2 of 7
Cathy -

It's a matter of taste. You can peel them or chill and cut in half and eat the pulp. Do not eat the seeds - they are like little pebbles. There are several different varities. they say the red flesh ones are tastier than the dark purple. The juice can be used to make jelly, conserves, marmalad and can be poured over salads. Try mixing it with other fuit juices to make smoothies as well.

Prickly Pear Jelly

4 cups prickly pear juice
5 cups sugar
2 package of powdered pectin

Follow the pectin manufacturer's directions for adding ingredients and fast boil, stirring constantly. Bring to a hard boil that cannot be stirred down, boil for 3 minutes. Pour into sterilized jars and seal.

Prickly Pear Puree

Wash and peel ripe prickly pears. Cut in half with a knife and scoop out the seeds. Force the raw pulp through a medium to fine strainer. Freeze either fruit pulp or the puree. Simply pack into freezer containers and seal. Thaw before using.

Prickly Pear Salad Dressing

1/2 cup prickly pear puree
1/3 cup salad oil (not olive oil)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
3 to 4 Tbs. tarragon white wine vinegar

Shake all ingredients together in a covered jar. Makes about 1 cup . This pretty pink dressing is thin like an oil and vinegar dressing, but lower in calories. Good on fruit salads and tossed green salads.

Prickly Pear Marmalade

4 cups chopped prickly pears
1 cup sliced lemon
2 oranges
1 or more cups of sugar (see below)

Chop orange peel and pulp. Add 4 cups water to lemon and orange. Let stand 12 to 18 hours in a cool place. Boil until peel is tender. Cool. Measure lemon, orange and water in which cooked. Add chopped prickly pears and 1 cup of sugar for each cup of combined pear, lemon, orange and water. Boil to the jellying point. Pour, boiling hot, into hot jars. Seal at once.
Jan 22  # 3 of 7
M-m-m-m MamaM,
Those recipes sound nice. I am interested in trying this. I like unusual things that have a new flavor to savor! I can remember in Fl and CA there were stores that sold prickly pears in the produce sections sometimes. I'm going to keep my eyes open for some this summer!
Thanks, CCCathy
Jan 22  # 4 of 7
Remember to let us know if you like it and how you ate them!
Jan 22  # 5 of 7
Ok I Will Indeed Let You Know! I Kind Of Imagine Them Having An Earthy Taste!
M-m-mmm