Jun 21  # 1 of 17
I took Cathy and Mama's advice about getting my hubby to eat zucchini.

I thin sliced some young zucchini for lunch then soaked them in buttermilk. I made breadcrumbs from some stale roasted garlic bread I had and mixed some parm cheese, garlic powder and pepper into them. Skipped the salt because parm tends to be salty and Jon doesnt like much salt. After the buttermilk I then dipped the zucchini into the breadcrumb mixture and fried them in hot canola oil. Once they were fried golden brown I put them on a plate lined with paper towels and lightly sprinkled with kosher salt to finish.

Jon has always been a big lover of fried green tomatoes but after having these he said he liked the zucchini even better than the tomatoes. I dont think there is any hope of ever getting him to eat broccoli though lol.
He likes potatoes, mushrooms and fried greem tomatoes. Thanks to you guys now I can add zucchini. He hates peas and broccoli. Will not touch green beans. He will eat lettuce on burgers but wont eat salad. I can get him to eat spinach if I put it into lasagna or something similar. He says with alot of veggies it is a texture thing in some cases more than taste. He is worse than a little kid :rolleyes:
Jun 21  # 2 of 17
Hey - at least he will now zucchini! What about breading some broccoli florets for him to try? Puree some and add another veggie and make patties out of them; bread and fry. He may not even notice. And eggplant? The small baby eggplant are the best and have a great flavor. Whatever he doesn't like - puree and add to something else - it works with kids! LOL
Jun 21  # 3 of 17
I even tried hiding broccoli in a pizza pot pie once lol.
I'll try breading it but getting him to taste it may be the trick. I could make him a batch of beer batter mushrooms and throw a few broccoli in there. I just wont tell him they are in there. Jons Dad put some eggplant in the garden but I think he told me none of them came up and all they ever have in the store here are really big. I may be able to find some small ones when the farmers market starts.

His Dad has aBIG problem with the garden his is growing at Jons brothers. Groundhogs!
They ate every cucumber vine they had down to the dirt. One of his brothers neighbors wounded one of them with his gun but they saw like three total and the one he wounded still got away. It sucked about the cucumbers. They had like 12 vines covered with baby cucumbers. Im not sure what they are gonna do about them. He has alot of stuff planted there and I would hate to see them loose it. Not to mention the fact I was really looking forward to the sweet potatoes he has at their place :o

Thanks for the help Mama. I will try that with my 44 year old child lol. He jokes about getting old and I always tell him if he was as old as he acted most days I could put him in childrens day care.
Jun 21  # 4 of 17
You can beer batter any of the veggies - small bits of broccoli here and there should not be detected!

It's a shame about the garden!

One year I planted my lettuce, basil, etc. in crocks on my second floor deck instead of the garden - for the same reason. How beautiful everything grew! I was ready to "harvest" in a couple days - damn squirrel made a nice Italian salad from the lettuce and basil - ate it all. Little scumbucket flea-bitten varmit! Boy did I wish him and early road kill experience! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr That is one squirrel I personally wanted to run over - repeatedly in public - for everyone to see!

Remember that woman that ran over her husband repeatedly with her daughter in the car a few years back?? Well that is what I wanted to do to the squirrel!

Was I ever "praising" his furry butt in Italian! %$#)#&^%*

Teach him to mess with Mama...............
Jun 21  # 5 of 17
lol Mama you crack me up!
I love animals but not when they are causing damage and destroying a persons hard work and time. Then my motto is shoot them now and shoot them quick.
Around here the birds have feasted on locust and left the fruit trees and gardens alone but the bugs and critters are doing their best to destroy everything.
I dont know about you guys but I for one have sure appreciated that we have had cooler temps so far. Some days have been in the 90's but there have been far more nice mild days than scorching hot ones. Last summer was miserable.
Im still hanging onto your recipe for marinara using fresh tomatoes. Our tomato plants are really starting to grow after last weeks rains. I already picked up two cases of quart jars with the lids and two cases pint jars with lids.
That elderly fella I was telling you guys who likes my roasted garlic bread loved your marinara. I took him a jar a few days ago with a loaf of bread. He gave you two thumbs up.