Aug 6  # 1 of 7
With an abundance of ripe tomatoes coming in this is what I'll be making tomorrow. A bit spicy for me but I do some with less horseradish .

• 2 cups white vinegar
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 8 cups chopped tomatoes (about 11 large)
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 medium green pepper, diced
  • 1 celery rib, diced
  • 1/4 cup prepared horseradish
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 1 tablespoon mustard seed
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
Directions:

In a large saucepan, bring vinegar and sugar to a boil. Remove from the heat; cool completely.
In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients; add vinegar mixture and mix well. Spoon into storage containers, allowing 1/2-in. headspace. Refrigerate up to 2 weeks or freeze up to 12 months. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: about 6 pints.
Aug 7  # 2 of 7
That sounds really good, Francie.

I'm thinking, too, that with all that vinegar plus the acidity of the tomatoes, it should be perfectly safe to can this relish. I'd bring the whole mixture up to a boil, then process in a bwb for ten minutes, I reckon.
Aug 7  # 3 of 7
I agree with Brook, Francie- this relish sounds like it'd be outstanding on everything from roast beef & fish to scrambled eggs! Yum!
Aug 7  # 4 of 7
Unless it is a tested published recipe for canning, I would not recommend doing it, especially since none of the canning books I have list a tomato relish recipe. If you are wrong on your assumptions.......

I do a lot of canning and this recipe goes into my refrigerator.
Aug 7  # 5 of 7
CanMan...I agree with you on that. I don't do any canning only because I have always been afraid I'd screww something up and die from Botulism.....especially with Tomatoes.
This does really well in the freezer and it never lasts at my house anyway!...lol...