Oct 17  # 1 of 14
I enjoy the skin too so I like to scrub them, coat them in unsalted butter or olive oil, prick a few fork holes in the skin and bake them in the oven for the full 1 1/5 hours. I am told this is archaic and I should just Nuke them like everyone else. But then the skin is like at the restuarant as in hard and dry. Just how do you guys prepare a simple baked potato?
Oct 17  # 2 of 14
I don't believe in microwaves for anything. I also eat the skins and prepare them the same way. I also have a stove top potato baker - it's okay. Another way I like them is by steaming - they come out great and you can still eat the skins. For steaming I don't need any oil or salt on them.
Oct 17  # 3 of 14
Do it in the oven. Some things are just better left the traditional way. I'm amazed at the money people will throw away for mediocre food in a restaurant.
Oct 17  # 4 of 14
growing up picking potatoes, to this day I can't eat a baked potato. I will eat them prepared any other way though. The memories of the rotten potatoes, the smell and the ooze of the putrid rot just doesn't go away.

I do make baked potatoes for others though by cleaning them, pricking them with a fork to let the steam out and then brushing them with oil. The skins get nice and crispy that way and hold up well to scoop out the pulp for twice baked.
Oct 17  # 5 of 14
My wife complained about heating up the house in the summer so I started baking them in my gas grill. Light only 1 burner, place the potatoes on the warming rack over the opposite burner and I can adjust to hit 400 degrees fairly easy. Yep, you gotta keep the lid closed. I use my grill all year long and quite often. I replace the propane tank about once a month.

BTW if you eat the skin, just cover them in foil after coating them in oil or butter and the skin will be tender. I've been known to use the same piece of foil for up to 1/2 dozon bakings.