Oct 31  # 1 of 15
I've seen this veggy on the food network but come to think of it my family has never had it. I'm courious. Let me know if they are any good and if so what is a good and simple way to fix them? I bet I could slice them down the middle, put a little olive oil on it and grill the thing. I don't even know if they are supposed to be peeled or not.
Oct 31  # 2 of 15
there's a lot of "debate" about eggplant and peeling and bitterness, etc.

there's the "salt & drain" to get rid of bitterness theory - for modern varieties I've not found that to be true, the bitterness has been selectively bred out. heirloom varieties may not follow those rules....

another theory holds bitterness is in the seeds - which is one reason to use small / immature fruits - the seeds are smaller. when dealing with eggplant, bigger is not necessarily better.

personally I always peel them because I don't care for the texture of the peel.

for a baked/roasted/halved/stuffed approach might not be necessary because you will probably scoop out the insides. the peel would help hold it together - when fully cooked they do get quite soft.

you can also bake them whole. the skin basically falls off when done.

one of my favorite methods is peel, slice about 3/8 inch thick, egg wash, bread, saute for color&crunch - finish for 10 minutes or so in the oven on a rack. careful with the oven timing - you want some firmness remaining - overcooked they go to mush.

can do similar with deep frying.
Oct 31  # 3 of 15
I peel eggplant - except when I can get my hands on the little Japanese ones - those don't need to be peeled.

Eggplant can be fixed in so many ways.

Many pour salt on eggplant to drain the moisture out - I don't. You really don't have to.

You can cut eggplant anyway you want. If you want to bread and fry - (they absorbed grease like crazy) - dip in egg whites before breading - you'll use less oil.

Baked Eggplant Marinara

8 1/2-inch-thick center-cut eggplant rounds (from 2 small
eggplants)
All purpose flour
2 eggs, beaten to blend
1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs made from crustless French bread
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 2 1/2 ounces)
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 1/4 cups purchased marinara sauce
3/4 cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese (about 3 ounces)

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly oil baking sheet. Sprinkle eggplant
rounds with salt and pepper. Place flour and eggs in separate shallow
bowls. Mix breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese in another shallow bowl.
Coat eggplant rounds with flour, then eggs, then breadcrumb mixture,
patting to adhere.

Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
Add 4 eggplant rounds to skillet. Cook until golden brown, about 5
minutes per side; transfer to prepared sheet. Repeat with remaining
oil and eggplant rounds. Spread 2 tablespoons ricotta cheese over
each round. Top each with sauce and mozzarella cheese, dividing
equally. Bake until rounds are heated through and cheese is melted,
about 15 minutes.

from my notes:

Cooked eggplant soaks up a lot of oil. As the air rushes out of the cells oil rushes in to take it place. Many cooks insist on salting and pressing (or just draining) the air and water out before cooking. Getting rid of the air means it will absorb less oil during cooking. Salting also reduces the water content which reduces the amount of water leeched out into the dish. If you salt prior to cooking, rinse and pat dry to prevent excessive salt in the end product. Adjust the seasoning in the recipe to compensate for the salt remaining on the eggplant.

Then there is the issue of whether or not to peel the eggplant. Peeling should depend on how the eggplant is used in the recipe. If you never peel, selection becomes extremely important. Young tender eggplant is a must as older tough skin takes longer to cook and by then the flesh is overcooked.

Eggplant can be baked, grilled, steamed, or sauteed. It is versatile and works well with tomatoes, onions, garlic and cheese. The only way eggplant is unacceptable is raw.
Oct 31  # 4 of 15
Eggplant Balls

1 large eggplant
1 3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped green pepper
1 1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 eggs
1 tablespoon grated sharp Cheddar or Parmesan
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon pepper
flour
vegetable oil

Peel and cube eggplant. Cook in one inch boiling water with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook 15 minutes or until tender; drain and discard water. Chop cooked eggplant and mix with onion, green pepper, 3/4 cup bread crumbs, 1 egg, cheese, paprika, pepper and remaining salt. Cool and chill 2-3 hours or overnight. Drop mixture by heaping teaspoonsful into flour and coat completely. Beat other egg; dip eggplant balls into egg and then coat with remaining bread crumbs. Fry in hot oil until brown. Can be frozen and reheated in 350 degrees oven.

Eggplant Parmigiana

olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 large onion, chopped
2 (16-oz) cans tomatoes
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup dried breadcrumbs
2 eggs
2 tbsp water
1 large eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch slices
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 (8-oz) pkg mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4-inch slices

In 9-inch skillet over medium heat, in 2 tbsp hot oil, cook garlic and onion until tender, then add next 5 ingredients. Reduce heat; cook, covered, 30 minutes.

On waxed paper, place breadcrumbs; in small dish with fork, beat eggs and water. Dip eggplant slices in egg then in breadcrumbs. Repeat to coat slices twice.

Grease 13x9-inch baking dish. Over medium heat, in 2 tbsp hot oil, cook a few eggplant slices at a time till golden brown. Add more oil as needed.

Preheat oven to 350. Arrange 1/2 eggplant slices in baking dish; cover with 1/2 tomato mixture; sprinkle with 1/2 Parmesan cheese; top with 1/2 mozzarella; repeat. Bake 25 minutes.
Oct 31  # 5 of 15
Egg plant is great because it takes on flavors like a sponge. It doesn't taste like much on it's own.
My favorite meal with it is to prepare it like you would for an eggplant parm. Then to nestle a layer of it into a baked ziti.

It's great in chinese dishes if you have found a decent substitute for soy sauce.

grilled eggplant slices with tomatoes makes a nice, clean and simple quick pasta dressing with a bit of garlic and red pepper flakes.