What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Asparagus question?

jpshaw

Yes it's me again. We have large bunches of asparagus now. Need a good simple recipe. Looking for boiled, grilled or roasted but without the cheeses or creams etc so it can be low sodium.

Sounds good Rick. Straight on the grill or in an iron skillet? I do green beans in an iron skillet with oil and lime juice but I quess thats kinda steamed. Thank you.

I was thinking the grill, but a cast iron skillet would be nice too. Actually borrowing from Cathy's green bean recipe, how about unsalted butter in a skillet with some garlic.

I was thinking the grill, but a cast iron skillet would be nice too. Actually borrowing from Cathy's green bean recipe, how about unsalted butter in a skillet with some garlic.

There you go. That sounds like what I want to try first. Thank you again.

fresh asparagus
olive oil
kosher salt

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Wash and trim the ends off the asparagus spears.
3. Lay the asparagus spears on baking sheet. Sprinkle olive oil and kosher salt over the asparagus.
4. Roast for 15 minutes. Asparagus is ready when it is a nice bright green color and tender.

Be careful not to overcook the asparagus.

Asparagus and Banana Vinaigrette

1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/3 cup wine vinegar
1/2 cup salad oil
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped scallions
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 pound asparagus -- steamed
2 ripe tomatoes -- cut in wedges
3 bananas
Salad greens (Bibb or Iceberg)

In glass baking dish, combine salt, mustard and pepper. Stir in the vinegar, oil, lemon juice, scallions and parsley. Mix thoroughly. Add steamed asparagus and tomato wedges. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Just before serving, peel bananas and cut into diagonal slices. Arrange asparagus, tomatoes and bananas on lettuce leaves on serving platter.

Asparagus Frittata

12 stalks of asparagus
non-stick cooking spray, butter or margarine for skillet
4 eggs*
1 tablespoon grated parmesan or romano cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

* Feel free to replace eggs with low-fat egg white replaces -- 1/4 cup (60 ml) = 1 egg.

Remove the woody ends from the asparagus stalks and cut into 1-inch (2.5-cm) lengths.

Grease a medium-sized skilled with non-stick cooking spray, butter or margarine and heat over high heat until the fat begins to sizzle.

Sauté the asparagus pieces for about three minutes.

While the asparagus cooks, whisk together the eggs until they are light yellow and frothy. Whisk in the grated cheese.

Make sure the asparagus pieces are fairly evenly distributed across the bottom of the skillet. Pour in the egg and cheese mixture gently to keep the asparagus from floating to one side of the pan.

Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook the frittata over low heat until the top is set and the bottom is golden brown.

Flip out the frittata onto a plate so that the brown side is up. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.

Serves: 2

Asparagus with Balsamic Vinaigrette

This vinaigrette is also excellent with green beans!

2 pounds asparagus stalks, washed and trimmed*
3 tablespoons good-quality balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons minced red onion
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
Coarse kosher salt to taste

* A mixture of green and white asparagus will make a beautiful presentation!

Blanch the asparagus in lightly salted boiling water for about 3 minutes or until crisp-tender; do not overcook. Remove from heat and refresh under cold water; drain well. Arrange asparagus on serving platter or individual serving plates.

In a bowl or jar, whisk together balsamic vinegar, red onion, olive oil, garlic, and pepper.

Spoon the vinaigrette over the asparagus, allowing a little to puddle on either side. Sprinkle lightly with coarse salt.

Makes 4 servings.

Asparagus with Lemon Vinaigrette

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (can use hazelnut or walnut oil)
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Pinch freshly cracked black peppercorns
2 pounds asparagus stalks, washed and trimmed

In a jar or bowl, combine olive oil, lemon juice, thyme, garlic, salt, and pepper. Store, covered, in the refrigerator. Serve at room temperature.

Blanch the asparagus in lightly salted boiling water for about 3 minutes or until crisp-tender; do not overcook. Remove from heat and refresh under cold water; drain well. Toss asparagus with enough lemon vinaigrette to lightly coat. Arrange asparagus on serving platter or individual serving plates.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

Green Beans or Asparagus Wrapped in Carrot Rings

1 large fat carrot, peeled (the largest carrot you can find)
Small fresh green beans or pencil size fresh asparagus
Coarse kosher salt and pepper
Butter

Cut four (4) notches around the carrot lengthwise with a sharp knife so that it looks notched; then slice crosswise into about 1/2-inch rounds. Ream out the center of each carrot round, being careful not to break the ring.

If using green beans, snip the stem end off each bean. If using pencil sized asparagus, use the tips only, and cut them approximately 4 inches long.

Put the beans (or asparagus) inside the carrot ring (usually 2 to 4 beans or asparagus will fit into a carrot ring). Steam them until tender crisp; toss gently being careful not to break the carrot ring, with salt, pepper, butter and serve.

Sautéed Asparagus with Mushrooms
Use your favorite fresh mushroom for this recipe. This dish is also excellent served chilled.

1 pound asparagus, trimmed
1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped or 1/2 teaspoon dried
Freshly ground black pepper to taste

In a large skillet, bring 2 inches of water to a boil with a teaspoon salt. Prepare a bowl of ice water and set aside.
Add asparagus to the boiling water and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until barely tender but still firm. Using a slotted spoon or tongs, remove the spears to the ice water bath. Leave in ice water 5 minutes or until cool. Drain and set aside. Discard blanching water.
Using the same skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, asparagus, thyme and salt and pepper to taste.
Sauté until mushrooms are wilted and the asparagus is just heated through, about 3 to 4 minutes. Serve warm or chilled. Yields 4 servings.

SUGAR ASPARAGUS

3 tbsps. butter
2 tbsps. brown sugar
2 lbs. asparagus
1 cup chicken broth

In skillet over medium high heat, cook butter with brown sugar until dissolved. Add asparagus, sauté 2 minutes; stir chicken broth, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes until tender crisp. Remove asparagus to serving dish to keep warm. Cook sauce until reduced by half. Pour over asparagus when serving.

Grilled Soy-Sesame Asparagus

1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds

DIRECTIONS:
1.Preheat grill for high heat.
2.In a bowl, mix sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic, and brown sugar. Place asparagus in the bowl, and toss to coat.
3.Lightly oil a fine-mesh grill grate. Place asparagus on grate, and cook 8 minutes, until tender but firm. Garnish with sesame seeds to serve.

Baked Asparagus with Balsamic Butter Sauce

1 bunch fresh asparagus, trimmed
cooking spray
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Arrange the asparagus on a baking sheet. Coat with cooking spray, and season with salt and pepper.
Bake asparagus 12 minutes in the preheated oven, or until tender.
Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat, and stir in soy sauce and balsamic vinegar. Pour over the baked asparagus to serve.

I used a cross between what Rick had said about Cathy recipy and what I had worked out for steamed green beans last summer.

Starting with an 8" skillet - Placed on the warming rack of gas grill with 1 burner lit - 400 degrees -
8 oz asparagus, trimmed
1 Tbs olive oil
1 Tbs lemon juice
dash of black pepper
dash of salt sub
Several good squirts of "I can't believe it's not butter".
Put it on 10 minutes before I started my lemon-pepper chicken breast, which I cut in two after grilling and make 2 meals out of it. Turning several times with spatula and finishing after the chicken is done. Probably 25 minutes for the asparagus. I really liked it. Still a little crunch, it seemed just right. Now I still have 8 oz left so I'll take off on one of Mamas recipes.

Hey I'm new

What's up everyone, I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say hey. Hopefully I posted this in the right section!

Welcome to the forum cignWrini. This is a thread about asparagus so you might want to repost this under the heading "Introductions". That is the place where new people introduce themselves and then everyone will get to welcome you.

Welcome to the forum cignWrini. This is a thread about asparagus so you might want to repost this under the heading "Introductions". That is the place where new people introduce themselves and then everyone will get to welcome you.

Ditto CignWrini ! And welcome to SpicePlace, we like it here and hope you will too!

Cheers, CCCathy

Back