What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gravy burgers tonight

ricksrealpitbbq

This is one of those things I actually came up with on my very own. For some reason I always liked Salisbury steak when I was a kid and that's what inspired me to try this years ago. It's pretty easy.

First you fry up some burgers. Then I take one envelope of lipton onion soup mix and one envelope of brown gravy mix and add 2 cups of water. Mix it up.
Place burgers in a baking dish, and cover with soup and gravy mixture. Bake in the oven at 350 for about an hour or so until gravy has thickened up.

This goes great with mashed potatoes which is what I've got planned for tonight

I'll get pics up when it's all done :)

Sounds good!

I like to make nice big thick burgers, fry with onions, and put losse ground beef in the pan to fry with it. When the burgers are done - make a good hamburger gravy (all those nice little lumps of ground beef in it) mmmmmmmmmmm

Well my menu got changed up a bit. I was planning on mashed potatoes but the burgers got a bit dried out and there wasn't much gravy. SO I decided to fry up some potatoes with onions mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Here it is

DSC03170.jpg

I could stand a big plate of that. Like Mama said "anything with onions".

This is how I make Salisbury Steak "We call it hamburger steak" and gravy. Brown the beef lightly on each side. Mix together 1 1/2 cups beef broth (I use a powdered low sodium called Herb-Ox) with 2 Tbs all-purpose flour (you can add a cup of mushrooms if you want but I usually opt for 1/2 cup of chopped onions). Add this mixture to the patties and simmer until the gravy is thickened and the beef is done.

You have to remember everything I do is low sodium so add some salt and use whatever broth you want.

Last edited:
Now you have to tell us about that bread I see on your plate. That alone would justify making a gravy just to pour over it.

JP, the bread was my dutch oven bread. I love it but there is one bread I really want to master. A nice Italian split loaf, who know if I can do that I may attempt a braid :eek:

I love salisbury steaks too Rick and make them often. Just a meatloaf/meatball mix, with egg and bread crumbs, shaped into patties, brown the patties and the simmer in the gravy. I am a big fan of Lipton Beefy onion soup mix and also liquid smoke for the char grilled taste, lol.

Yes, I do appreciate liquid smoke at times.

Darn Rick and his pictures. That looked so good I had to make it tonight. Used the gravy over brown rice. Didn't know you needed to simmer brown rice so long but it was worth it.

Darn Rick and his pictures. That looked so good I had to make it tonight. Used the gravy over brown rice. Didn't know you needed to simmer brown rice so long but it was worth it.

Yeah JP brown rice takes forever to get done (well sometime it seems like it) and I like it, but my favorite rices are Basmati and Jasmine, have you ever tried them? The Basmati I can fine on occassion at Big Lots for a real reasonable price, otherwise it is kind of exspensive. They are just nice tasting rices, the first time I ever tasted Basmati I was blown away, and wanted no othe rice ever:) I finally did break away from it exclusively and am glad I did. I guess my favorite brown rice is the type that is mixed with wild rice.

Yeah JP brown rice takes forever to get done (well sometime it seems like it) and I like it, but my favorite rices are Basmati and Jasmine, have you ever tried them? The Basmati I can fine on occassion at Big Lots for a real reasonable price, otherwise it is kind of exspensive. They are just nice tasting rices, the first time I ever tasted Basmati I was blown away, and wanted no othe rice ever:) I finally did break away from it exclusively and am glad I did. I guess my favorite brown rice is the type that is mixed with wild rice.

I've never tried Basmati, Jasmine or wild rice. The brown rice was my first venture away from the standard long grain. I've heard that wild rice is actually not a rice at all but something else. I do need to get out more

Merry Christmas Nan - (I guess I'm not too politically correct). It sounds like I will have to try this basmati or brown basmati. How is the texture and do you use it just like long grain? Until I started cooking for real (everyone cooks some) we never ventured very far from the middle of the road. Now my wife asks "What are you cooking now".

Merry Christmas Everyone! :)

Mom and I stayed pretty busy wrapping presents tonight, so supper was breakfast at my place! We had over-hard eggs, fried split smoked sausage on buttered sourdough toast slathered in tart grape jam, 'taters n' onions, and washed it all down w/ a milky dessert of honey-nut-cheerios!

Back