Apr 9  # 1 of 14
Has anyone got an idea where one might find cardamom - I went hunting for it this morning at two of the local markets and couldn't find it in either one.
I understand the stuff is mighty expensive - when you can find it, but that it's rather hard to locate! What might be a good substitute for it in recipes calling for the stuff? There's no mistaking the musky flavour - it's wonderful!
I almost gave up and got cardamom seeds, prepared to grind them myself with a mortar and pestal. Another thing I found at neither market where I searched was simple msg. Would I need to go to a health food emporium for that? I've used msg (and cardamom) so infrequently that I'd never have a need for a large supply of either one.
Apr 11  # 2 of 14
A Kroger grocery store a few counties over from us carries it. It is very high.
Apr 11  # 3 of 14
Good morning, Janie - Yes, I know - it's at least an arm, a leg, and a pint of blood to get Cardamom! None of the local markets around here had it - and they all said they didn't know when they'd have it, either. What can I substitute for it in a recipe? Any ideas would be very gratefully considered. Nothing can ever make up for that wonderful, musky flavoure Cardamom adds, but perhaps there's something that can suffice? My sister is hoarding two bottles of Cardamom (:eek:) in her pantry and said she'd share - for a mere $6.00!! Now that's love!!
Apr 11  # 4 of 14
Katie, Accent product is MSG. Most stores have it.
Cardamon and most other spices I use, I order on line (much cheaper). Store spices are way over priced. Cardamon is in the ginger family, just saying. CF:)
Apr 11  # 5 of 14
CF - you're a life-saver, but so was my sister!! She came up off one of those bottles of cardamom she was hoarding, today (for free, the price is RIGHT) and so I'm set for the time being. In future, I'll go online to find it and buy that way - anyplace in particular that you recommend? And thank you so much for clueing me in on msg, also. I never knew Accent was msg - that's available just about anywhere I go. Again, thanks so much for your help.