What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Microwave steamer pots!

jpshaw

Anyone use these much. I found some old steaming bags and was using them until they ran out. Went to the local Wallyworld and they don't carry them anymore so I bought one of those "Microwave Multipots" by Nordic Ware. Only cost about $7 and it's been a hoot. Using mostly my stirfry recipes and steaming them in it. Sure saves a lot of time but I quess I will get tired of it soon enough. I think it's the only pot I own not made in China. No all my cast iron is made in USA.

All I used to use the microwave for was to reheat stuff but someone at a local farmers market told me about nuking corn on the cob. Spray it with butter flavored spray, give it 5 minutes then season with salt or whatever, hey this is much better then boiled. I used to do stir fry on the grill, just give it about 10 - 15 minute head start in a cast iron skillet with whatever you're grilling. So tried it with the steamer thing since I wasn't grilling at the moment and it's not bad at all. Candied carrots were great also. Hey I'm not pushing this stuff but when you want a quick side to go with some previously cooked chicken with some rice this works pretty good.

I make my own steamers for heating leftovers and steaming veggies. With all the concern over microwaving in plastic, I went to the Glad website, they claim they don't put any dangerous chemicals in any of their products, including trash bags, and they list the chemicals they don't put in. So I punched several holes in the lid of one of their smaller containers, also a larger one. I turn the container upside down and drain through the holes in the lid, if draining after cooking is needed. Steamers save lots of time and work.

Ziplock made Zip and Steam bags. Has all the times etc right on the bags. I just couldn't find anymore of the things after I ran out so I bought this little thing. I made candied carrots last night. Makes pretty good steamed squash too. I quess it could make anything but meat wouldnt be very appetising without some normal cooking first.

Back