Jan 4 # 1 of 4
There is a recipe and picture in one of my cookbooks for pizza rustica I want to try. Giada's recipe looks a little complicated. It is made in a springform pan. Here is the link to the recipe I was planning to try.
Pizza Rustica Recipe : Giada De Laurentiis : Food Network
Do any of you make this dish or something like it? I would love another recipe for it.
Jan 5 # 2 of 4
Here's a couple - including a "cheater" recipe:
1 21" long loaf French bread -- split lengthwise
1 pound sweet Italian sausage -- casings removed
1 large green bell pepper -- sliced into strips
3/4 pound Ricotta cheese
1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon basil
approximately 2 c. pizza sauce
Green pepper -- sliced into rings
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Hollow out bread, leaving 1/2" rim; lightly toast on both sides. Set aside.
In a medium skillet, thoroughly brown sausage. Add peppers and sauté until peppers are tender; drain fat.
In a medium bowl, combine cheeses, egg, basil, sausage and peppers.
Top each piece of bread with 1/2 cup sauce. Evenly fill with sausage-cheese mixture. Top with remaining sauce. Garnish with green pepper rings. Bake 30-35 minutes or until filling is set.
1 16-ounce package hot roll mix
1 pound very lean ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 8-ounce can pizza sauce
1/2 of a 7-ounce jar roasted red sweet peppers, drained and chopped
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
Nonstick cooking spray
1/2 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese (2 ounces)
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (2 ounces)
1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
2 eggs, slightly beaten separately
1 tablespoon water
2 teaspoons sesame seed
1. Prepare hot roll mix according to package directions through the kneading step. Cover and let dough rest.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook ground beef, onion, mushrooms, garlic, and black pepper until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain well, Stir in pizza sauce, sweet peppers, and Italian seasoning. Cook and stir until heated through. Cover and keep warm.
3. Spray the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray. On a lightly floured surface, roll three-fourths of the dough into a 13-inch circle. Place dough in the springform pan (the dough will extend about 2-1/2 inches up the sides). Press pleats in dough as necessary to fit. Sprinkle bottom of dough with half of each of the cheeses. Spoon meat mixture over cheese.
4. Pat spinach dry with paper towels. Combine the spinach, one of the slightly beaten eggs, and the remaining cheeses. Spread spinach mixture over meat mixture. Roll remaining dough into a 9-inch circle; place over the spinach mixture. Fold excess bottom crust over top crust; crimp edge to seal. In a small bowl combine the remaining beaten egg and the water. Brush over the top of the dough. Sprinkle with sesame seed.
5. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for about 45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 10 minutes on a wire rack. To serve, remove sides of springform pan; cut into wedges. Makes 10 main-dish servings.
2 c. flour
1/2 t. sugar
1/2 t. salt
3/4 c. cold butter, cut in pieces
few drops lemon juice
1-3 T. ice water
5 eggs (I only use 4)
1 lb. ricotta
1 c. shredded Parmesan
1 T. dried parsley
2 T. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 T. finely chopped onion
1/2 t. marjoram leaves
1/2 t. oregano
10 oz. tomato sauce
4 oz. tomato paste
2/3 c. sliced black olives
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 lb. mozzarella, thinly sliced
1 green pepper, julienned
Process flour, sugar and salt to mix. Cut butter into flour until mixture resembles small crumbs. Sprinkle a few drops of lemon juice over all. Blend in ice water, a little at a time, until mixture forms a ball - only add what is needed. Sometimes you need 2 T. and sometimes 3. Form into two disks, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30-45 minutes. Heat olive oil in sauce pan, and saute garlic and onion until translucent. Add herbs and heat. Blend in tomato sauce, tomato paste, olives and salt and pepper to taste. Roll out bottom crust and fit into 10" pie plate. Pour 1/2 of ricotta mixture in crust. Layer 1/2 mozzarella over ricotta. Spread 1/2 tomato mixture over mozzarella. Sprinkle 1/2 green pepper slices over tomato mixture. Repeat. Roll out top crust and cover pie. Seal and flute edges, and make 3 long parallel slashed in top crust with sharp knife. Bake at 425 for 35-45 minutes until golden brown. Allow to rest for 30 minutes before serving.
Jan 5 # 4 of 4
You're welcomed! There are many recipes out there for pizza rustica - it's just a stuffed pizza - been making it for years - stuff it the way you want. It's very simple - don't let any recipe scare you!