Aug 4 # 1 of 45
Many of the country fairs are here and everyone loves to go to the fair.
With so many different food vendors - what is your favorite fair food?
What about some funnel cakes -
3 eggs, beaten
2 cups milk
1/4 cup granulated sugar
4 cups flour, sifted
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
To beaten eggs, add milk and sugar.
In separate bowl sift dry ingredients. Add to egg mixture, beating until smooth.
Heat oil to 375° and pour batter into hot fat through a regular household funnel. Control the flow of batter by holding your finger over the bottom of the funnel. Make patterns, designs, swirls or whatever with the stream of batter as it flows into the hot fat. When "cakes" are golden brown, drain, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and serve warm.
Aug 4 # 2 of 45
Salt Water Taffy
* 2 cups sugar
* 1 1/2 cups water
* 1 cup white corn syrup
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon glycerin (can be purchased at a ********)
* Flavoring extract:
* 1 teaspoon peppermint oil extract = Peppermint Taffy
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract = Vanilla Taffy
* 1 teaspoon banana extract = Banana Taffy
* 7 drops food coloring
* 2 tablespoons butter
* Mix sugar, water, corn syrup, salt, and glycerin in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook to a temperature of 258 degrees F.
* Remove from heat and let stand for two to three minutes. Then add flavor extract, color and butter and stir vigorously until butter is melted. Pour into buttered cookie sheet.
* Cool until lukewarm taffy can be handled.
* Begin to stretch and fold over and over until taffy turns paler in color, about 10 minutes. You may find this easier to do with a small amount of butter or oil on your hands.
* Roll taffy into long rope. Cut into individual pieces and wrap in wax paper.
Aug 4 # 3 of 45
Deep Fried Cheese Curds
Vegetable oil (for frying)*
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup milk or beer
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 (9-ounce) package fresh cheese curds, room temperature
* Use enough vegetable oil to completely cover cheese curds while frying.
In a deep fryer or large pot, heat vegetable oil (375 degrees to 385 degrees
In a medium bowl, combine egg, 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, and milk or beer
until well blended. Add flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder; mix until
smooth. Drop cheese curds in batter. Using a spoon, turn cheese curds to
A few at a time, drop the coated curds into the hot oil; fry approximately 1
minute or until brown and puffed, turning to coat all sides (do not
overcook, or the cheese curds will begin to melt and ooze through the
coating. Remove from hot oil and drain on paper towels. Allow fried cheese
curds to cool a couple of minutes before eating.
Aug 4 # 4 of 45
4 cups shucked clams
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup finely ground yellow corn flour
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
Salt and pepper, to taste
Rinse then drain clams.
Mix together milk, cold water and salt into a large bowl before adding clams.
Refrigerate for several hours.
Into a deep-fryer or a large casserole, preheat some cooking oil to 365°F [185°C].
Well mix together all-purpose flour, fine corn flour and onion powder into a shallow dish.
Drain clams briefly before dipping in mixture.
Deep-fry coated clams, a few at a time, into hot oil until golden brown but not crisp.
Do not add too many at once because as it would lower the temperature too quickly.
Drain onto clean paper towels; season at once with salt and pepper, while still hot.
Serve immediately, really hot.
Aug 4 # 5 of 45
•RHODES brand Dinner Rolls, thawed but still cold
•4 cups canola oil
•1 cup sugar
•1 teaspoon cinnamon
1.Roll each roll into a thin 26-inch-long rope.
2.Roll each end in opposite directions three or four times.
3.Pick up each end and pinch together.
4.The churro will twist together.
5.Heat oil in a deep skillet to 350°.
6.Place churros in oil and fry about 2 minutes or until light golden brown.
7.Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
8.Combine sugar and cinnamon in a one gallon resealable bag and shake until well combined.
9.Place warm churros, one at a time, in bag and shake until well coated