Posted By: alice.b.toklas
Jun 15 # 1 of 1
I love this recipe and the yellow color that comes naturally from the saffron.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp finely chopped shallots
- 1 1/2 cups long grained or basmati rice
- 3 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 tsp ground saffron
- Cook the chopped shallots in the butter in a non-stick 2 quart saucepan pan for about 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add rice, and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the chicken stock.
- Add the saffron, and then mix the saffron in well.
- Bring to a boil, add a little pepper if desired, then cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 20 - 25 minutes, or until the chicken stock has been absorbed (basmati rice cooks faster so check after 10 minutes of cooking time).
- Remove from heat, let sit 5 minutes, then stir to fluff up and place in a serving dish.
You can substitute onion for the shallot, but the shallot really tastes better with the rice.