About the only way most people serve cucumbers is chopped up in a salad. This recipe I make quite often and everyone loves it.
- 8 cucumbers
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 4 tbsp fresh dill weed, chopped
- 4 tbsp Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- white pepper
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- a pinch of granulated sugar
- Peel, cut in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds from the center of the cucumbers.
- Cut across the cucumbers to make 2" wide pieces. Cut those pieces into 1/2" wide strips.
- Place the sliced cucumbers in a bowl and season with the salt, vinegar, and sugar.
- Place the bowl in the refrigerator for one hour to allow some liquid to drain off of the cucumbers.
- Drain the liquid from the bowl, then lay the cucumbers out on paper towels to dry.
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F.
- Place the cucumbers in a shallow ceramic oven safe baking dish. Top with lumps of butter, dill, scallions, parsley, and white pepper. Toss lightly.
- Place in oven and bake for 25 minutes stirring occasionally to help the liquid evaporate.
Recipe makes 6 servings.